Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Positive urine pregnancy test, negative blood test

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi there, I have had three positive urine pregnancy tests, one this morning, but when I phoned up for my blood test results they came back "normal no action".  I asked the doctor what this meant and she said it meant I wasn't pregnant.  I don't know what to think now as why have I had positive urine tests.  It doesn't make sense and she couldn't give me an answer either.  I feel pregnant as well.  All the symptoms including nausea, weight gain, abdominal cramps, heavy sore breasts, gums bleeding, runny nose, weird food cravings.  Am I pregnant or not.  The doctor said to come back in a week, but how could I wait that long.  I was all ready to receive a positive result from the doctors and then was so disappointed when it came back negatives.  What is going on with my body.
It IS possible that the pregnancy tests you used were more sensitive than the blood test.  MAny doctors look for HCG OVER 25 in order to give as positive pregnancy test.  Many otc urine tests can be as sensitive as 10-15. There was another woman on here who had taken a home test and gotten a faint positive but the same day got a negative blood test.

Unfortunately the only thing you CAN do is wait and retest.
I am no expert but have heard of this happening.  Wait a couple of weeks because you may be really early in a pregnancy.  Act as if you are but don't get your hopes up.  Prenatal vitamins are good for anyone and don't hurt a thing.  Before anyone is pregnant they recommend vitamins and increased folic acid.  If in a couple of weeks the test is still showing positive in urine, get another blood and go from there.  Drink lots of water.  You want clear and light yellow urine.  Goodluck!
Thanks for your comments.  I took another test this morning and had just three dots where the positive line should be.  I'm so confused.  Going back to the doctors at the end of this week so hopefully that should clear a few things up. I'll do the vitamins thing anyway as it can't hurt.
Aargh, waiting for the doctors is a nightmare.  I have taken more tests, I think I'm becoming an addict! The Clear Blue ones came back positive but the first response came back negative.  This is a nightmare.  Roll on tomorrow morning.
From what I have read it is really rare to have a false positive. My sister had a super faint line, she had to hold it up to a light and she was in fact pregnant. I think a false negative is much more common. I would say that if you got a positive you are pregnant. The only way I think it could be wrong is if you are on some type of hormone. Good luck! I wish the best for you!!!! Please give us an update soon!
KTowne, and Hollus commented on KTowne's status
KTowne, hansen20, and Hollus commented on hansen20's status
hansen20 in my 3rd trimester now!! c... Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy