Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Preeclampsia at 29 weeks concern

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Preeclampsia at 29 weeks concern

I had a question as to how preeclampsia is diagnosed.  I am 29 weeks with my second child and had preeclampsia with my son.  After 5 weeks of bedrest with my son I was induced at 37 weeks.  I am now 29 weeks with my daughter and am starting to notice swelling and my blood pressure has jumped (well the bottom number) from 63 to 86 over the last week.  My doctor ordered the 24 hour lab and I know the numbers however I have no idea what they mean or if I should be worried.  My 24H Protein level was 323, my UA protein was 15, and my total volume was 2150.  Are these numbers considered above the normal???
Protein <150 mg is normal. UA should be < 9 and not sure what you mean by total volume. And I'm guessing the UA was a random UA testing for protein? I would think so by the number. Yes, all of your values are high except the total volume because I'm unsure of what that means, but you can call the lab and get a normal level for those.

Pre-eclampsia is diagnosed by two separate blood pressure readings taken 4 hours apart that are high, edema, and excessive amounts of protein in the urine. Seems you meet all of those.

I am not a Dr. and not diagnosing you by any means. However am a nursing student, but cannot diagnose but can give you factual information. I hope this helps!!!

Preeclampsia is a condition which is diagnosed by a combination of symptoms which can include the following: high blood pressure, spilling of protein into urine, headaches, swelling/edema, sudden weight gain.

Most women have a "trace" amount of protein in their urine but when this arises above a certain level that suggests she may be developing preeclampsia.  From the research I conducted, it was indicated that if the total content of protein in a 24h urine collect is greater than 300 mg (milligrams) then that is cause for concern.  I am not a medical doctor but I suspect your protein level was measured in mg which means you are a little over the "safe threshold".

In any case, the fact your BP has jumped suddenly, you have noticed swelling and are spilling protein into your urine sounds like you need to be monitored closely.  What did your doctor say?  Do you have a follow-up appointment?
Looks like the "threshold" is different depending on the source however,  323 is above both the numbers we each researched.

Total volume of 2150 is likely the total volume of urine in the 24h collection in ml (e.g. 2.15L).  Preeclampsia can also be diagnosed if the protein concentration is above a certain level.
hansen20 commented on photo
hansen20 commented on photo
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy