Pregnancy and Cervical Polyps
Has anyone else or is anyone else dealing with a cervical polyp while pregnant?  I am currently 7w6d pregnant, and two plus weeks ago, I began spotting and flew into a tizzy.  After two ultrasounds showing a growing embryo, it was determined from my pap test that the source of my bleeding is from a cervical polyp.  I was relieved to know that these polyps are generally not a problem and I was glad to know the source of the bleeding and it was not a MC.  The nurse explained that these polyps can often bleed fairly heavily (even with passing some large clots), so I shouldn't be worried if I continue to spot.  

My question is this- has anyone else had experience with these polyps, and how long can they bleed for?  Through the whole pregnancy?  I don't want to be a freak and be constantly calling my doctor (who is hard to get ahold of because she's part of a large practice), but I guess I'm worried that I might not know the difference between the polyp bleeding and a miscarriage.  I doubt since I know the source of my bleeding that I need to be calling the doctor constantly, so when does it warrant a call to the doctor?  If I begin cramping?  I just want to make sure I maintain a healthy dose of caution, but not be calling for every little this or that.

Seriously, how am I not going to have a nervous breakdown over these next 32 weeks?!?  LOL

Hi Kristi,
I too have been diagnosed with a cervical polyp.  I am 16 1/2 weeks pregnant and it is scary.  I have had bleeding/spotting for the last 3 months.  Finally last week during a colposcopy my regular gyn discovered that I have a polyp that is causing the bleeding.  She said I could have it surgically removed after I hit 5 1/2 -6 mos if it continued to be a nuisance.  I have had anywhere from light pink to bright red to dark brown spotting/bleeding.  It is very nerve racking, but I was told that unless I bleed heavier than a normal period or fill a pad every couple of hours that I shouldn't be alarmed.  
I know what you're going/went through.  The first couple of months after I started spotting I was worried constantly as I had a miscarriage last year in February.  But all my ultrasounds come back fine.  How are things going now?  I know you're post was old, but wanted to know how your pregnancy turned out.  If anyone else has been going through this please post your outcome.

Amy
Amy, I know you posted this a couple of months ago but just in case you see it I thought I would post, I am 16 weeks 5 days and have in past three weeks had bleeding off and (freaked out at first) that was also found to be a cervical polyp.Like yourself it has varied in quality/color but never any significan amounts. Had an amnio two days ago and didn't the uterus cramping that I had stimulate the polyp again and give me worry for several hours after the procedure, as I bleed more and brighter than I had seen before. it setled by evening and by next day was scant brown again. It is hard to know when to worry and when not to, certainly not havong pain with the bleeding is a good sign, but it is hard to relax completely.
I am 6w 6days. Two weeks ago I started spotting on a Wednesday (that lasted a day) and went to the emergency room. They said my hcg numbers were good after 2 rounds of tests. The following Thursday I went back to the emergency room for spotting again (which was light for 2days). The ER doctor said she saw something unusual looking on my cervix. I explained to her that I had the LEEP procedure done last year and she said it must be from that. The HCG numbers doubled and the sonogram looked good. Today I went to my OBGYN and he found a polyp. It was 1cm long. He removed it and it did not hurt. He said that removing the polyp will not cause a miscarriage, but 25% of women have a miscarriage before 12 weeks. I had a miscarriage back in Nov. 2009 so I have been freaking out since I started spotting. Now I know it was from the polyp and not the baby. He said that sex would irritate the polyp and make it bleed worse. He said he had to remove it or it could get infected and cause a miscarriage. He said I would bleed for the next day or so, but not to worry even if I pass a clot it would be from the polyp site. If I have cramps or really bad pain with more than a period bleeding then it could be a miscarriage. He said not to lose sleep over this because as long as my HCG and sonogram looked fine the baby is progressing. If I lose the feeling of morning sickness, breast tenderness that could be a sign of miscarriage. I hope this helps.
I am married one year back...Doctor examined and said you have cervical polyp of size 21x20 mm...I am really worried Abt my future..Will it grow back and cause any cancer ...Plz solve my problem....
Hi Pryiyakanchar. Couple questions for you. One, was the original one that they removed cancerous? If not than you most likely have nothing to worry about with the future polyps being cancerous. If you don't have a history of cancer, you're in the clear 99% of the time. Your body grows those in that are because of hormones usually. So if you get pregnant you'll probably grow more. They are fine, and suggested, to be left alone until after labor as long as they aren't causing problems to the baby. I have one now that's been bleeding for 2months straight now minus about a week.