Pregnant and can't quit smoking!!!
Hi, I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant with my third child and am having a hard time quitting smiking.  I have cut down to 3 or 4 a day but I am still so upset that I can't quit completely.  Anyone else in the same boat?  
I am 12 weeks (this is an educated guess-my 1st doctor's visit is in a few days)  I was a heavy smoker before I found out I was pregnant. 1 to 2 packs a day.  I always thought I would quit cold turkey once I became pregnant, but it's harder than I thought... And I have now become the woman I used to shake my head at.  Anyway, Once I found out I managed to cut back a lot... even going some full days without a cig.  My husband was very supportive in the beginning-he dips constantly.  However, he suddenly changed his tune.  One night he talked to me in a way that he never has before.  I didn't even know he could be so mean.  Anyway he said I had to quit.  I tried so hard.  At that time we were getting ready to move from florida to north dakota(we are both military)  This move has been really stressful.  I'm very close to my family-they live in georgia- and even though I am able to talk to them on the phone it's not the same as seeing them.  I'm not trying to make excuses for myself.  I feel so guilty every time I smoke.  I cry sometimes after having a cig because of the guilt.  I wish I was able to just quit.. I'm just not that strong.  My husband saw me smoking yesterday morning.  He was furious.  He yelled and told me I didn't care about our baby's health.  I told him that the only time he ever had anything to say about the baby is when he sees a cig in my hand.  (I know this isn't what this blog is about, but he does show VERY little interest in my pregnancy.)  We both had to leave for work.  I told him I loved him and he wouldn't even say it back.  So here I am almost 2 days later and he still hasn't spoken to me... Not a single word.  I just wish he would support me.  It was so much easier in the beginning when he offered words of encouragement.  I just feel so alone.  I feel like he is being a hypocrite.  He dips all day everyday.  I told him we should quit together but he refused.  I know he's worried about our baby being healthy ( so am I) but I just think there are better ways for him to handle my smoking.  It's really hard trying to quit when I've just been put in a new town, away from my family, and I can't even talk to my husband about it.  Sorry to go on and on... I just need some advice I guess...
Hi all, I'm in the same boat, I am five weeks 4 days preggie and I'm in the process of quitting smoking. My doc recommended (since I am a high risk pregnancy all ready) that I cut down daily and give myself a "last day of smoking" date. (that date happens to be today, so when this pack is gone I'm all done!) one of the things that is helping me quit is .....believe it or not.....switching brands of cigs or flavors of cigs. If I smoke a cig I dont like, I'll smoke only half of it. I'm done to a half pack a day but I only smoke 1/2 of each cig (so realistically i smoke a full 5 a day). it's made it easier for me too that I've changed the times I smoke so that my old routine gets broken! good luck everyone!
Hi all,
read all of ur comments want to trust but scared too. I am now 4weeks pregnant. I had miscarriage last yr and couple of time early. I have been smoking for 9yrs now. M so worried abt loosing this one and think abt quiting smoking but I tend to smoke more out of stress. I just don wanna lose this time and want it to born healthy

Plz suggest something gud for ma baby.Should I quit or consult doc and take some medicine to quit it or not to harm my baby just because I smoke....
sorry in advance about the RANT but i know one too many people who wish they hadnt smoked. I am sorry if this upsets you or offends you. Please do not read this if my quasi-sympathy is displeasing but i am a blunt person and i tell it like it is***I am not a smoker and im not even sure im pregnant yet but i was wondering***.....why did you start smoking in the first place? and not to be rude but what do you think non-smokers do to deal with stress? i understand that quitting is extremely difficult but i must stress to you its MIND OVER MATTER. My boyfriend is european and he had been smoking since he was 6 YEARS OLD and when he decided to quit he quit. If you think you cant quit or that you NEED a cigarette then you will continue to be addicted. And although you feel guilty and would like to quit you wont quit until you really are through with relying on a drug to deal with life. You will never be rid of stress so it doesnt help you to continue smoking until there is less stress. Face the facts ladies. and if you can accept that your temporary pleasure may negatively affect your children then please puff on the cancer sticks all you want but the key to quitting is to just STOP SMOKING.
i am approx. 11 weeks pregnant and i havent been able to quit yet, this is my second child, and i was able to quit with the first for month 2 to 5, after that i had tooken up rolling my own ciggs, with organic additive free tobacco, it isnt safer, but turning the 3 or 4 smokes a day i was having into 1, (i would use only a tiny pinch in a paper), made a big difference, ive been smoking for 15 years, and if i dont have a cigg with my tea in the morning, or after a meal, im very restless, my daughter weighed 7lbs 14oz, and was BEYOND healthy, she had a great appetite, and she grew very fast, she has only had the 24hr flu once, and never has had a runny nose in her 3 yrs of life, my mother when she was pregnant with me smoked upwards of 2 packs a day and i was the same,  

i do not drink, and havent in a few years, i do not use hard drugs, i do ocassionaly smoke marijuana and i use for my depression, and to keep my appetite up,

when i was pregnant with my first, a friend of mine was pregnant at the same time, she couldnt quit either, she never smoked marijuana, but her choice in smoking, was not so good, she would smoke a pack a day of heavy regular ciggs, and when her baby was born she barley weighed 5 lbs and has a long list of very scary medical issues.

quitting smoking is number one on my list, it is a goal i feel i wont achieve at the moment, my life has become less and less stressful and i see a day coming soon, when it will be stress free, my goal in life is to make my familys life stress free, and i will achieve it, i dont think that smoking a few ciggs a day (i was a 2 pack a day person) will harm my child, you have to be smart about it, cutting back is the first step, after you cut back cut back a lil more untill you can live with yourself, and be content havein one or 2 a day,

there is women out there that are addicted to far worse things while pregnant, and you would be very suprised how many children are actually born into this world addicted to things they need not know about, i suggest to all the people out there that have their two cents to give to the stressed out pregnant women who smoke a few cigs a day, to keep it to themselves, i like to smoke, i like the flavor, and im pregnant, and ive had one person in my two pregnancys actully have enough gumption to say something to me, and i put them in their place, and then they had my husband to deal with right after me,

smoking is the last thing on a LONG list of things and substances that can hurt your baby, and you would be very suprised if you resarched it, as to what "harmless" things around you could be detrememtal to you baby, to all thoes non smokers, that think there better then smokers, i suggest you look it up,
To everyone I would like to thank you for all the comments.  I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my first and I am having a hard time quitting smoking, to date I have stopped smoking got a week and I feel very stressed.  I don't know what to do for I really want what's best for my baby. The father is very upset with the thought of me smoking even one cigarette.  I feel like buying a pack because I feel stressed, I wonder if my baby would be effected by the stress or the 1 to 2 smoke a day I feel like having.  My friend did quit for the first 3 month but went back smoking, even people who made quitting so simple had a hard time sticking with it.  It is hard and i really don't know what to do for the guilt is too much and I am scared to have a miscarriage due to stress.
hi my name is Fara and im 5 weeks pregnant.Before i knew i was pregnant which was last friday i smoke around 12 sticks a day.Now i cut back to only half a stick a day with the help of nicotine puff/e ciggarette. i know that nicotine is still bad for the baby but its better then smoking the real thing.I suggest you try this.I know its the hardest thing in the world to quit, but i believe we can with strong will : )
I am 11 weeks. and 20 years old. With my first baby (16) i had her at 17. i smoked the whole time. I started slowing down about 6 months tho.  ( my daughter is 3 mow and perfectly fine)

I had a miscariage early this year at 10 weeks in april.

I am scared to death of another miscarriage and I dont want it to be my fault bc im smoking!! It is hard.. sometimes ill be smoking and i put it out and start crying cus i feel soo bad!  But my first baby was 8lbs!
I believe if god wants you to have the baby he will make it happen,

I just wish I could do more for my baby and stop. some days i do better then others and other days not so good.

But i am happy too see that so many people are supportive on here and understand!!! most comments iv seen about smoking and pregnancy is like the people just down the questioner throat!!

Congrates to all the soon to be mommies on here!!!
I just want to say that i am glad i found this post..I smoked alot with my first pregnancy because i was under alot of stress and i no matter how hard i tried to quit i couldent,well my daughter was 8lbs 2 ozs and has only been sick 1 time and she will be 2 tomorrow"thank god" but my dr has told me the same things about just stopping you could put your baby under alot of stress..well i am now 34 weeks pregnant and i have cut down alot i have my days but everytime i light u[p a think about my unborn baby and i do feel bad but i just cant seem to quit..i did not smoke the whole 1st trimester because it made me sick but then as soon as i realised i could smoke again i started back..people look at you funny and make comments which i understand why but if you dont smoke it is kinda hard for you to understand..but i am just glad to see that i am not alone in this
Im extremly guilty and stressed out that i can not stop smoking completly. some days i can go the whole day and other days i smoke as many as 5. Let me just say i was told i would never be able to have kids and i have had two other children with the help of many doctors and drugs to aid in becoming pregnant. my first child i was so excited to be pregnant i stoped cold turkey. although i had a hard pregnancy he was born 6lb 11oz and i stoped smoking at 2 months as soon as i found out i was pregnant. with my second hansome boy i smoked here and there as the days were stressful never more than 3 or 4a day but still not very heavy and not every day. we also took drugs to get pregnant with him i had a very hard time carrying him and was on bedrest alot. Tyler Elijah died at three months old while daddy was away on active duty after only being held in his daddys arms 2 days. he died september 14,2010 to SIDS- let me just say its a horrible way for a mother to find her baby this way and coping with it after the fact,,,,,,,well i guess you become known to everyone else as crazy because unless you have lost a child there is no explaining it......YOU ARE NOT SET FREE OF THE GUIT OF WHAT YOU COULD OF DONE DFFERENT. i had smoked while i was pregnant and for the first time ever smoked a cig in a very distant room of the house the night of his death. and i wonder if my smoking caused his death. However even wih this guilt...... i begain to smoke very heavy after his death as i know all of you that smoke could feel me on how and why in a time of such stress i would smoke like crazy... i got up to aout 3 packs a day just out of control.........3 weeks after tyler passed away i found myself pregnant......later to find out its twins....no doctors no drug......and NOT READY FOR ANOTHER BABY SO SOON, LET ALONE 2!!!! please forgive me for sounding so ungrateful, i am working on coming around, babies are due in the same birth month as tyler, im trying my best to cope and im unable to take any of the medication i was taking to cope, my husban has gotten out of the army  due to having a hard time dealing with are son passing away and can not find work so there is alot of stress and trying to cope and so........i smoke.....and there is so much guilt and im mad at myself for it exspecially theres two and they are already at high risk for low low birth weight and lung issues.....i do feel so horrible as a person i do wish i could stop....im 22 weeks and to be honest its as though iv really not dealt or faced the fact im pregnant or that its twins or even that iv really lost my son and hes never coming back....i just close the door to the nursery in hopes the baby i laid to bed sept 13, 2010 will soon cry for his next feeding soon and ill wake up and it will have all been a nightmare. but yet my fear is these babies are gong to come and if there healthy through all the smoking iv done ill never sleep out of fear.....im just trying to make it one day at a time and when ppl stop and make comments about me smoking while pregnant.....im a nice person i am but when ppl involve themselves im so over stressed with all of it i must tell them to mind there own bussiness unless they wish to take the whole time to here my story and even if they want to here my story please NO opions  
I am also a smoker. I have been smoking cents I was 7-8 I used it to well I guess that does not matter why you smoke. Anyway I am on my 4th baby I cut down with all of them and was also told by my doc not to quit tell after baby is born to stressful on mom and baby. I wanted to quit with every child and have tried after all were born. With my first I quit for 3m then my husband still did and well I was bored one day there was a pack of smokes around you know the rest. With my second baby I did try but she was colic so if I had not went back to smoking I might have killed her or my self lol. With my last baby I quit for 5m then he started passing out and that scarred the hell out of me so my friend who went with me to get his brain scanned smoked and one led to two then you know the rest. I will say my son is 12 now and was 8lb2oz my daughter is 10 now and was 7lb 2oz and my son is 2 now and was 8lb 14oz they are all in great health my youngest is still passing out doc said he gets mad and holds his breath lots of kids do it. Any way I am on my 4th baby and I was up to a pack and a half a day. I am now smoking about a pack every 4 days. I do feel bad but there is nothing I can do I hate to say that something is worth my child's health but here I am smoking the way I look at is I could be a pill head a crack addict or worse I do not drink do not take drugs have never even smoked pot. I do hope to quit after I have him but as for now I am doing my best I am only a person I am not perfect but I am not as bad as I could be. Look at what out parents did when we were in there tummy I know my mom smoked and drank with me and my siblings but we are all fine well my brother is an *** some times but who knows why so do your best dont due drugs or drink just try and cut back. I will say tho I do not smoke in my house have never with any of my kids, I smoke outside never smoke in the car with them never even if they are not there. I also were two different shirts when I smoke and when I don;t I have a coat for when I smoke too. I wear a hat and gloves and sanitize myself as soon as I come inside. There have been allot of test that prove second hand smoke is worth than first so in this day and age there is no reason why a mother would ever smoke near her child that is putting them in allot of danger, so if you cant stop now at least dont make your child a smoker when they are born  Even if you just smoke out side there is enough tobacco on your cloths and hands and hair it as if when you kiss or snuggle with your little one they are smoking as well so please were a different shirt and wash your hands allot..... And never ever ever ever smoke around your kids....
I am so glad I found this post. I'm 23 weeks pregnant and can't seem to fully kick the habit. I quit for 5 weeks over the holidays. Then I moved from New Jersey to California because my husband is stationed out here through the Marine Corps. The smoking kicked back up around that time because I was so stressed out. The doctor told me my baby is perfectly healthy so far and that I shouldn't feel guilty about smoking a few cigarettes a day. But it's my child. Of course I feel guilty. He depends on me for everything and I can't help but feel wretched that I haven't been strong enough to quit yet. So all of you women who commented on here have totally made me feel not so alone and I appreciate that! Thank you again and congrats to all.
Hi there. Is know this post is old and most of you have had your babies but I am glad I am not alone in this. I am only 5 weeks preggo and haven't quit yet. I am planning on it and hope that when I see the baby on ultrasound that it will affect me. I feel for all of you ladies as we are all in the same boat. I have already been made to feel horrible from people and it just infuriates me. It's always the tea kettle calling the pot black....as he sits there puffing away on his pipe and criticizing me through his black teeth! GRRRRR!!!!!!! Everyone thinks they are so perfect but it's usually the ones that have never been addicted to smoking, or like this guy just arrogant so they have no right acting holier than thou! Anyway....this post comes up in google right away so I hope other ladies today that are going through this will join and we can support eachother through our terms! My name is Shawna and I am from Canada.
Congrats on cutting down because it is VERY HARD! I ended up having a miscarriage due to my PCOS just over a year ago but when I found out I was preggo, my doc did not want me to quit altogether. He wanted me to slowly quit so I didn't stress too much because that CAN hurt the baby. I have known a few women who miscarried or had complications due to quitting smoking altogether. I don't know yet if I am pregnant or not, since I do have symptoms and have started a new medicine to help me get pregnant, but I am trying very hard to cut back on my cigs so I can give my baby the best chance possible.
I'm in the same boat as all of u. This is my first baby and believe me I'm very excited, I'm only 20 I no young mum and everything but I'm trying.  I'm 20 weeks tomorrow, I did stop smoking at 8 weeks and it's haven't had a smoke since until last week, my partner started smoking again and being around it at home just makes me want to do it. I proba only have 3-4 a day I used to smoke a pack and half I've smoked since I was 14 and I'm almost 20. I feel bad enough as it is having that many and I don't want people to judge me, I'm trying so hard to stop again. I wanna know those who have had ur babies were they ok.. How did u go with labour etc. Please I need help I'm beating myself up and make myself sick thinking I'm a going to be a bad mum, Please do not be harsh with replies because if u have never smoked in ur life u have no idea how hard this is.
when your about to light a smoke why dont you just picture putting a smoke in your newborns mouth.... wouldnt that be disturbing to do? well its very bad to be doing now you are increasing the risks of so many things you are endangering your child and i dont care what anyone thinks of my opinion im not trying to be mean or anything but thats just the reality of if it... do you tell your children not to wear a seat belt in the car or not to wear a helmet when riding a bike? no because that would be unsafe now wouldnt it.... or you could just serve them a glass of windex with their supper with a side of rat poison

i know its hard to quit but i did it all three times the day i found out i was pregnant i couldnt have smoked if i wanted to cause the thought of hurting my baby is way worse than a ciggerette craving
wish you luck and i hope you quit
i think if we were having babies back in the 70s noone would say anything about smoking and being pregnant....i remember going to er and ppl sitting in the waiting room smoking ppl used to smoke in the stores so i think it is all away of living like go green and all the other things so thats good if you can cut back do it i know it is hard im on my fourth child and i smoke
Hello I'm 11 weeks and a nurse and I smoke.  I am down to 2 a day at the most.  I feel horrible since I'm a pulmonary nurse and know the risks.  Its so hard to stop the habit ESP when your around smokers.  Good luck to you ladies and applause on cutting back.
I too have quit smoking (for the second time) due to pregnancy.  I quit before I got pregnant the first time, then stupidly went back to it several months after my son was born.  I'm pregnant again, and just quit again.  It's hard.  And yes, it's true, in the 70's they wouldn't have said anything.  Simply because they did not know then what they know now.  They also didn't have you use carseats, and a host of other things that we now know are vital to our children's health and safety.

Here are some tips that helped (and are helping) me.  Write down a list of the reasons you want to smoke.  Smoking in pregnancy can lead to things like low birth weight, premature labor, asthma, etc.  Carry this list with you and refer to it when you have a craving. I also carry around things like lifesavers, werthers, any kind of hard candy that I can suck on.  It helps a lot.  Lots of water.  I drink it constantly.  And just take it day by day (or hour by hour if you have to).  Just tell yourself...for this hour, I will not smoke.  Keep doing that.  Remember the physical part of it leaves your body in about 3 days.  You can do this!!!! As for people judging...don't worry about them.  This is about you and the health of your baby.  I know you want your child to get off to the best start possible, and this is part of that.  Best of luck to you!
Im a smoker with my 3rd child.   With my first i quit because they made me Sick.  Smoked with my second pregnancy b/c that was my craving.    Im now due in march.  And i smoke because it calms me down due to highstress levels. My dr said my baby is currently above weight and developing great.  He told me to switch to a low grade cigarette.  Such as lights.  And when possible keep in moderation.   So i smoke lights and half a pack or less a day. Which was way better then the pack and a half i was smoking.    And i have anxiety which i need meds for that i cant take due to the pregnancy.  Smoking helps me with that also.  

Plus.  There r women that do drugs and drink while pregnant.  Which is still wrong but far worse then smoking..
I can't give too much advice I was a chain smoker and quit cold turkey. I say break your cigarettes and don't buy more. Remember that you are harming your unborn child who has no say in the matter. I'm not judging however that's what I told myself to quit drinking and smoking cold turkey. It can be done.
My mother smoked the hole time she was pregnant with me. I'm now a perfectly healthy 19 year old and 14 weeks pregnant :) although I don't recommend smoking, just try to keep cutting back and chew gum a lot or try puffing on a straw.
I'm on 48hrd of Smokin it's do bloody.hard.I'm 8wks Oregon. I stopped when I Was around 8 wks with.My son aswell.n lasted 18months smike free. But yep started agaim.. My son Was born at 32wks n Had to stay on scbu.but I know him comicn prem Had nothing to do with me so I'm Glad.this time is Soo hard I have a three yr pjd pushin My bottoms with him all day everyone day a partner who Still smokes but.not intront of Mr I'm so stressed. Well done all the women who cut down its do hard xx
I am 37 weeks pregnant and have been smoking 6-8 cigarettes a day, sometimes a couple more. I'm finding it even harder to quit now because we are trying to move into our own place and really can't afford it. Plus I'm stressed about the baby coming. I haven't really had any food cravings the whole pregnancy but I crave cigarettes more than before I was pregnant. I hate myself for not being able to quit. I'm curious to hear how many cigarettes you ladies are smoking a day. Does it matter how many? I'm freaking out that my baby will have breathing problems when she's born.
I was able to finally kick the habit. I am 17 weeks pregnant. I have been a smoker for 12 years religiously.  It is all about will power. Mind over matter bottom line. The cravings for a cigarette are very strong but they aren't painful or make you horribly sick. You have to be stronger than the addiction to be able to put down the smokes. If I can do it ANYONE can do it!!!
This is not a forum where you should be putting people down. No body is the same and just cause you did something doesn't mean others can do it. Give them encouragement not judgement and name calling. Ladies pray about it and for the ones who are trying and have cut back good job and keep on and one day you will not want a cigarette.
I'm 20 weeks pregnant, and also a smoker. I've tried my hardest to quit, but no luck. I was smoking a pack to a pack and a half a day before I got pregnant, but now I'm down to about 8 a day. I worry myself sick about my baby and doctor appointments are a big relief to me when I am able to see my baby and hear the heart beat just to know he's ok. If anyone has any advice, great, I'd love to hear it. Good luck ladies!
I am 9 wks with my 3rd child and having the same problem. I quit with my first 2 but crave them with my 3rd. Im smoking about 4-5 a day. Really hoping we both lose the desire. I feel so guilty. You're not alone. Good luck!!!
I'm not a smoker now BUT I was for a very long time.  I quit once for a year and a half and one drunken night led a cig to my mouth and we were inseparable. LOL!! I just quit again in August but let me tell you! IT WAS SO HARD! I cheated here and there (many times) but I wore the patch for 3 months. I would've worn that patch no mater how long it took. My bf quit cold turkey at the same time and he just smiled, loved life w/out a cigarette. I wanted to punch him in the face and shove a cigarette down his throat. But whatev!  :) I still miss smoking but now that I'm pregnant I'm thankful I quit when I did.

My mom smoked throughout her pregnancies, like a freight train. She even smoked out her hospital room buddy (the 80's).  We were all under weight but no health problems or anything.  We excelled at academic activities and sports. I think its just the way the cookie crumbles.  :) GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!  
CaimtThis is my third baby and I am not going to lie I smoke a pack to 2packs a day I know it is so wrong but my boyfriend says stuff to make me mad and it makes me want to smokepte

More I wish he would relax so I could at least try to quit smoking but its hard
I am 10 weeks pregnant and i can't quit smoking everytime i try i get shakey and i clench my teeth i freak out i want to quit so badly i am very ashamed to say i have had a baby before my 3 year old son i did cut back but i never could quit he came out completely perfect and healthy and 8 lbs but with the chemicals in our ciggerettes increasing like the fire safety IM scared to have smoked as much as i have my husband smokes as well i really need to quit i feel IM hurting to baby when my body withdrawals as strongly as it does what do i do
Thank you so much for your story about your sister. That has scared me to making a effort to really try to quit.  
i havent had this problem....been smoking since 12 an smoked with my last child but miscarried at 9 wk but dint find out til 12wk, this was in august. I recently found out that im pregnant again so when i was abwt 4wk pregnant i saw the stopping smoking woman that my mid-wife referred me to an she gave me patches and enhalor,however the patches made me throw up an go into cold sweats and shake after 6hrs of wear.So i went onto the enhalor and used it for abwt a week but because the taste is like nicotine combined with fish it put me off an now i carnt stand smell of smoke. My boyfriend stills smokes and wonders why i dont want to kiss him sometimes,but im still going stronge six weeks on....i do still crave a cig an get very tempted but thers one thing that stops me an its knowing my baby needs all the oxygen to have a good healthy start, and its not about just me anymore an this stops me until next crave.It is hard but this babys heart beat aint as fast as last one an this one looks more laid back and chilled so i fink i can safely say that iv done the right thing by trying an having the will-power this time......hope it helps you all that aint succeeded an hope you message me if it does help you lol xxx
Weres my comment gone
My first pregnancy I had no problem stopping but my second is a whole lot worse I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant and my Dr said do not quit cold turkey while pregnant, she said it is a lot better for the baby and you to wean yourself off. That's what I am doing and I'm down to 1 a day and some days I don't even have one. I only smoke 1 when I get really bad withdrawal symptoms. So good luck! Just be strong and keep thinking of your little baby, It helps. Just talk with your Dr and find a method that is best for you as well as your baby. :)
I can't quit and feel horrible I smoked my first pregnancy and thankfully have a completely healthy 3 year old now this pregnancy I feel like I smoke more then I did before I was pregnant I have alot of stress not that thats an excuse but i would be happy if I only smoked four a day
There's absolutely no medical reason that you need to keep smoking for a baby, to prevent stress on them or prevent withdrawal or anything else. Stopping smoking as soon as possible is absolutely the best thing you can do for your health and your child's. I quit cold turkey the moment I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and I was a smoker for 18 years. Honestly, it's poison. I get how hard it is to stop but there's  just no acceptable reason to poison your unborn child because you want to continue to smoke, it's selfish. Motherhood is a series of challenges and sacrifices, we should all really do our best to provide our children with as healthy a start as possible. The decisions you make will
Impact this tiny person for life. The best advice I can give is to recognize and think about what you are doing to your unborn baby every time you light up, that alone should give you motivation to stop.

I don't mean to be harsh or rude, but it's upsetting to see people telling each other how hard it is or how cutting down is enough, that their babies were fine. Statistically speaking, plenty of babies aren't fine and don't survive or have horrible defects.  If you want to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy child, you really should stop smoking as soon as possible, period. There's a reason why each pack comes with a warning.
Spot on Kateee sick of seeing people justify and encourage smoking during pregnancy. I quit both pregnancies. No excuses..your child doesn't choose to.smoke and you could be causi.ng life long problems for your child.
I'm 21 weeks and I feel guilty for smoking as well. Before pregnancy I smoked a pack every 5 days. . Now a pack lasts me A week. It sickens me with guilt and I hate myself for it. I keep telling myself I have to be stronger with more will power. But I end up smoking one anyway. My doctor told me quitting cold is going to throw my body in shock and stress out myself and baby. I've tried everything from sucking on lollipops to putting money in a bank every time I decide I need one. It just drives me crazy. I have anxiety problems before pregnancy. I gave up on my anxiety meds. But can't seem to give up cigarettes. It sickens me to go to the store to buy cigs and wonder what the cashier clerk thinks its for?!!! My husband works on a ship in the sea. I see him 3 days out of 2 weeks. It's stressful. I know how u feel! Let us all pray for more strength to quit!

Ps why do women who don't smoke even bother writing or replying to us( the sufferers) about how bad it is. I wonder what addiction they have if they don't smoke? Maybe pill poppers? Who knows. America, the land of the free but the most judgemental and most self contradicting!
I smoked but I did give up because you're not only smoking you are making your baby smoke and I could never piut my baby through that ..I Iwitnessed a family friend go into pre term labour at 23weeks...caused by smoking. Her son was born severely disabled .he's now 22 and she still cares for him. He can't even go to the loo on his own.its just not worth it..its only nine months and problems can occur after baby is born too. Huge risk or sids if you smoked during pregnancy..I plead smokers to stop. By the way that stopping cols turkey puts the baby in shock is bull. It's far better yo stop than keep putting toxins into your baby..even cutting down is Stoll had..cold turkey is best.
I am 8 weeks and I've been trying to quit for about a week. It's really hard bc I was a pack a day smoker and I am constantly stressed out by my job, husband etc and the only thing that ever calms me down is to light one up lol although I HAVE FOUND ONE THING  that has helped me and I hope it helps you guys as well. Change brands. Get a brand that is completely disgusting. I smoke menthol ciggs Newports a pack a day and I switched to pall mall menthol now I can stretch a pack for 3 days and 'm decreasing evryday!
That particular brand makes my mouth water and it fees like i'm going to gag and I don't breath through my nose bc I wouldn't be able to smoke em at all if i did. Usually I won't even finish a whole cig I just take a few puffs until i feel satisfied and then short it bc thy're so nasty lol Well I really hope this helps you guys. GOOD LUCK!
Kind of scared I quit cold Turkey @4 wks.
My doctor recomended that I try an electronic cig because you are not inhaling smoke what you get it water vapor with nicotine. Compared to all the harmful chemicals in ciggerette smoke nicotine is nothing. This makes me less guilty about smoking and I can usually only use the electronic ciggerette. Hope this helps.
I'm 14weeks and its hard for like almost off and on 3 of my months I smoked cigarttes and then quit like a month now I smoke like a jail house of a cig we are bad moms to smoke I personally understand all of this my 3rd and I m scaried I hope quit and you all to something u moms to be could try k candy alots of gummie chewy favorful candy good for morning sickness and peaches something with lots of fuit and juice helps me something or to be honest gum good luck moms be safe then these are our lil ones
i  m pregnant with my 2nd nd i cnt seem to quit bt i hv cut down and i m 30 weeks i m so worrid bt dnt knw hw to stop plz help i want to bt then its hard to di so
I'm in a relationship with a woman that smokes. We are now 2 maybe 3 weeks pregnant. It kills me inside to see her harm the baby when she smokes. I love the woman, but I don't think I can be a part of this. I love her very much, but she's causing so much harm to our baby. :(
what happens if the baby goes in to shock? can it kill it? im only 17 and really nervous lol so im kinda studying
She could use your support right now more than ever. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and I have the same problem. I don't want to smoke and every time I light up or someone else does it smells horrid to me but I still can't seem to not light one up. We have a 3 yr old daughter that unfortunately I smoked the whole time I was pregnant with her and ate prescription pills but she came out healthy as a whistle at a month early. Thankfully I don't take the pills anymore but not smoking is so hard. My husband smokes also and he doesn't smoke around me because I've been trying to quit with everything that I am. I'm looking into Wellbutrin as an aid to help me quit but haven't talked to my Dr yet. Please don't leave her right now as this is a very vulnerable time. With a little bit of conversation and support you may be able to help her quit more than you think. I understand where you are coming from but before you make any brash decisions go with her to a DR's appt and see how the baby is doing.  They can track the babies growth with ultrasound. Smoking releases a chemical that makes some people very addicted to them. So bad my mother-in-law has the beginning stages of lung cancer and still can't quit. I hope this gives you a little insight because I think leaving her is the wrong thing to do based soley on just smoking. I understand you're hurt, angry and concerned but your support and help on the topic could go a long way. Best of luck to you both!!
MY WIFE GOT PREGNANT BY HER PAST BOYFRIEND WHILE SHE WAS IN A MENTANTAL GROUP HOME. HE BAILED WHEN HE FOUND OUT SHE WAS PREGNANT. AT THIS TIME WE BOTH WERE THERE. SHE DID NOT LIKE ME TO WELL AND I DIDN'T GET ALONG WITH HER AT THAT TIME. AT ABOUT HER THIRD MONTH OF PREGNANCY SHE SLIPPED A NOTE UNDER MY DOOR SAYING  I WAS CUTE AND I TOLD HER I THOUGHT SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL ALSO. I ASKED HER THAT DAY TO MCDONALD'S FOR A DRINK THAT DAY. ON THE WAY WE TALKED ABOUT THE BABY, HER SMOKING, AND THEN I MADE A COMMENT THAT SHE SAID SOUNDED LIKE A PROPOSAL. I  THEN PROPOSED AT MCDONALD'S, 1 WEEK  LATER WE GOT MARRIED, AND THEN I MADE MY WIFE QUITE SMOKING COLD TURKEY. THIS WAS IN SEPTEMBER 1995 AND THEN BABY A. WAS BORN IN EARLY PREMATURE 3 MONTHS WITH HERMANGINOMAS ON THE LUNGS, THE BACK , AND ONE OVER THE EYE. SHE REMAINED IN THE NICU FOR MONTHS. SHE IS NOW GOING ON 19 AND HER SIZE (HEIGHT AND WEIGHT) IS WITHIN EVERYONE HER AGE. SHE HAS NO MENTAL PROBLEMS EITHER. FOR THIS REASON I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU GET PREGNANT /OR ARE THINKING ABOUT IT YOU SHOULD GIVE UP THE CIGARETTES AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. THE DOCTORS COULDN'T BE DEFINITE THAT EARLIER SMOKING IS WHAT CAUSED THE HERMANGINOMAS OR THE PREMATURE PREGNANCY WHICH RESULTED IN AN EMERGENCY C-SECTION BEING DONE.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.