Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Pregnant at 70!

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pregnant at 70!

I was wondering what you ladies thought of this... I am currently watching this program on TLC that is called Pregnant at 70. Apparently women around the world are having babies (through IVF and the oldest 70 years in India conceived naturally!) at older ages. I was wondering what everyone thought about this?
I kind of wonder why. Why didn't these women hit menopause? Why are their bodies still fertile? Also why is it happening in other countries other than the USA and other Western countries?

If we look at all the chemicals and junk we pump into our bodies it is no wonder we age and our bodies stop working so much earlier in the Western world than anywhere else. I'm not just talking about alcohol and smoking. I'm talking about hair product, makeup, lotions, food, etc.

So so so many women here are infertile and have trouble conceiving in their 20's and here are women in other countries having babies in their 70's. We need to take a good hard look at our diets, lifestyles and even what our mothers did while pregnant with us.

And if these Indian women (and whatever other ethnicities) are having babies in their 70's and can handle it, more power to them. If they are going to live 20+ years after giving birth then they'll be there to raise that little baby. Can't put death on an age; people die young and people die old.
Correction... The Indian native woman was 72 and she did do it through IVF because in India there is no age restriction at all!
These women had all hit menopause and had to have ovulation chemically induced. The US has a cut off for IVF at about the 50's depending on the health of the parents.
It is so true that as long as these women can take care of their children age should not be a factor!
The craziness with women are that there are so many different variations of infertility (and unexplained fertility in men also) that sometimes it is hard to pinpoint exactly what is causing the infertility.
in all honesty i find it very irresponsible.
you might...MIGHT... be alive to watch your child grow to be 30 years old. but you will not have the energy, health, etc to raise a baby. you won't have the mental capacity to raise a teenager. bottom line is you won't be capable of being there for your child 100%.
not only that, but the risks of the baby being unhealthy, having down syndrome, and any number of problems is significantly higher. why attempt to get pregnant when you know all this? not responsible AT all.
I agree with Joy. While I can't even attempt to imagine children at 70 (I never even wanted children past 30) if they can do it, more power to them. While they might not live long enough to see that child grow up, anyone can die at anytime.
I have read about this news a few days back. Was in big shock. This lady just delivered a few days back and is doing good till now. But I have read of another woman delivering at about the same age in India who died a couple of months after giving birth from post delivery complications. Very sad. I am an Indian and I think these ladies having babies at their old age are just a couple of rare incidents. Never heard of such things happening before. But personally I feel its not very healthy for the mother to give birth at this age. Must be so painful for them.
Purposefully becoming pregnant after menopause through IVF? Well I think it is their choice and if they are of sound mind then I really don't have room to talk. Children are a blessing!

BUT............ I also know that there are foster and orphaned children that need homes. There are age cutoffs for that as well.

Hmmm... it is just one of those things where you think, "Why?" and "Why not?" and there's just never a straight answer into whether it is right or wrong.
I totally agree that it is all a personal choice.
Absolutely...I know several women who have become mothers later in life (40+) for very good reasons and have had incredibly positive outcomes.

That being said...it seems dangerous to me. personal feelings about putting your body through such an intense strain at such an advanced age and about chancing you not being able to see your children grow up simply by virtue of "running out of time" aside...it really is dangerous. It's highly likely that we are advancing our bodies into menopause earlier and earlier as a result of the chemical and highly toxic environment we live in, here in the Western World...but even so, there seems to be an evolutionary limit at which a woman should safely stop having children...it varies person to person, so I'm not going to assign a "countdown clock" but I think it's unavoidable to say that at 70, she was taking some huge risks and while yes every woman who wants a child and will care for her child deserves to have one, there are other options (adoption) that don't put mother and baby at such severe risks.

But it is a personal decision, and I would never deny a woman the right to make the choice...I might personally think it's a little dangerous, but to each her own!
if possible,its better to have children when you are still young.I admire women who are having children in their early 20's.Thats the best way to go!
Why in the world would you want to have a child knowing you'll most likely be dead before the kid even finishes school?  It's rather selfish.  That aside, 70 yr old women are not usually in the best shape for the phsyical demands pregnancy puts on a woman.  Besides, women between 35 and 50 have been given much higher odds for birth defects and complications, can you imagine the odds for a 70 yo?
I'm not going to judge these older Mom's. It's their decision.

I agree with JoyRenee that it makes you wonder about American Womens' fertility. I think it's food and beauty products as well. I would add birth control to that list. We are in a bad state of affairs with our health. Not to mention, our maternity care system.
I'm not sure if I agree about the person not having the energy or the mental capacity to watch a child.  My grandmother was 94 when she died and for the last 50 years of her life she was awell known Yoga Guru and she always lived on her own.  My great grandmum on the other side of my family lived to be 99 and also lived on her own.  I also think there are people in their 20's and 30's who can also not be up for taking care of a child, physically and mentally.

That said, I agree that there are definitely those who won't be able to take care of children at that age.  But I feel like in most societies other than ours it "takes a village" and there are often other people involved anyway in the lives of all the children.

I have a friend of my mum here in the US who recently had her ob/gyn ask her if she wanted to give conception a go, she's in her 50's.  We both had a chuckle over it since I was going to TTC and doing it together would have been hilarious!  She said no.  :)
There is a reason women go through menopause when they do. i find it unnatural and there are too many people playing God. Sorry if its harsh, just how I feel :)
It seems unfair to the child for me. For one, even if the mom (and dad) live another 18 years until the child is an "adult" she will not be at full "mom capacity." Meaning even if she is a healthy 70 year old she will not have the energy to do all of the things required of a mother of a young child. And two, the child could encounter teasing about the fact that his mom looks like his grandma.

Plus, there is a reason women go through menopause; it's our body's way of saying baby-making days are over. If that woman has been trying her whole life to have a kid and hasn't been able to and finally can afford to do IVF, I still think it would be a better idea to adopt. At least that child is already born and already looking for a loving home and the woman isn't endangering herself and the unborn child.
I just want to interject that ALL OF THESE WOMEN went through IVF to get pregnant. Anywhere from 10-25 years AFTER MENOPAUSE!
From what I have read none of these women went for IVF to get pregnant at their old ages. They come from a very poor background and cannot afford IVF, they might have not heard of it even. In India IVF is not a common thing either. Pregnancy at their ages were just accidents. One of the women died two months after giving birth out of post delivery complications.
I was wrong...I search for it and saw that the 72 year lady indeed underwent IVF to conceive. Here's the link to the news. Indeed shocking

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ActiveAging/story?id=5309018&page=1
melandjae is ... Comment
28 mins ago
KeeLolo, and hansen20 commented on hansen20's status
hansen20, and KeeLolo commented on hansen20's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy