Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Pressure after Cerclage

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pressure after Cerclage

Hi everyone! As some of you know, I had my cerclage placed last Friday. This is my second cerclage, I had one with my son placed at 18 weeks due to shortening. My first I had taken out somewhere between 32-34 weeks (due to contractions) and I was induced (still only a finger tip dialated) at 36 weeks due to high blood pressure. Since my cerclage placement on Friday I have been experiencing a lot of pressure in  my lower abdomen. It almost feels like contractions, but not painful, and it doesn't come and go like contractions, it usually lasts about an hour or 2 straight and does most of the time get better with rest. I have also had some abdomenal (abdominal) pain when I pee and just this morning I had a little burning, so I think maybe I am getting a UTI.
I have a follow up appointment for the cerclage at 3:20 this afternoon (Eastern time). I am SO nervous that something might be wrong. I do have a fetal doppler at home, and have been checking on the baby a few times a day. Baby seems to be doing fine heart rate is in the 150's on average. I'm just so concerned that the cerclage may have irriated my uterus and caused some contractions or shortening, etc...
My Dr. had given me the choice as to whether or not to have it placed... I didn't shorten too much with my last, and when they took it out I didn't dialate, so it wasn't absolutely necessary, but I decided to have it placed early... just incase I really did need it I didn't want to find out too late (this was the Dr's feeling too, but she did leave it up to me). Now with all this pressure I am so scared that I may have made the wrong decision, and caused problems as opposed to preventing them like we were trying to do...
I'm really hoping that she will do an u/s today to make sure that there is no shortening or funnelling. But she doesn't do these in the office (MFM in the next building over does them) and I'm afraid that it will be too late by the time my appt is over to make it to the u/s.
Anyway... has anyone else here had a cerclage done? (I thought I saw a few other ladies post that they had) and what did you all experience after? Is this pressure normal? They gave me antibiotics IV just like last time before the proceedure, but last time they gave me indocin to prevent contractions, and this time they didn't cause I was only 14 weeks...
Hi Niki,

How did you make out at the Dr.?  I just had a cerclage (my first) placed last week at 14 wks.  I had some pressure like you described (only for a little bit) but seemed to go away after peeing.  I have had discharge though, that is different than the discharge that I had before the cerclage (it's is now thinner and slightly yellowish vs white like before-sorry if this is TMI).  It's not a lot (but more than before) and I called the Dr. the other day, and she said it sounded normal to her.  I am still freaked out though, and am wondering if this is just a normal thing after having one done.

This is my first pregnancy and first cerclage.  They put one in because I have had 2 LEEPS and a Cone Biopsy in the past and even though my cervix seems strong now, they said it was better to be safe than sorry.  I agree, but now I am terrified if I made the right choice or not.  I'll feel better after ny next appointment, but that is not for another week and a half.
rajahn joined this community
Welcome them!
1 min ago
Kailalaa uploaded new photos
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy