Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Prilosec and pregnancy

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Prilosec and pregnancy

Hi all,

I have a question about Prilosec. I usually take it almost on a daily basis or when I know I'm going to be very busy. I was told in the summer 2006 that I had IBS and heartburn. I noticed that my diarrhea seemed to slow down when I started Prilosec so I always feel safe taking it because it makes me regular or so I think. I think I might be pregnant now and don't know the effects of take prilosec now? Does anyone know about prilosec and pregnancy? Is it safe to take or is there something else out there better. I have a doctors appt. on Thursday and hate waiting to know if prilosec is safe or not. I'm going to try and not take it till I see the doctor.
My understanding is that Prilosec had not been assigned a category for pregnancy by the FDA because its effects during pregnancy are unknown.  Not taking the Prilosec until  you have spoken about this with your doctor on Thursday as a wise idea - in the meantime, you can take tums (or a generic equivalent) to help w/ the heartburn.  I hope you feel a little better soon.
I have been taking prilosec during my entire pregnancy.  My GYN was aware that I was on it prior to getting pregnant, and he recommended I stay on it to prevent heartburn.  He said for me, the benefits outweigh the risks.  I have been diagnosed with GERD.    Definitely discuss it with your doctor.  
You may actually find that being pregnant may help with IBS.  I have read that alot of people have resolution of their symptoms during pregnancy on the Crohn's/Colitis forum.  You may find that pregnancy regulates you, or you became constipated.
Prilosec OTC was the only med that really controls my heartburn.  My OB told me not to take it.  I was told to take tums / zantac / gaviscon... which don't work the same as Prilosec.  Good Luck.
the last month of my pregnancy i had such bad acid reflux and the doctor told me to take zantac and if that didnt work to take prilosec.  my baby is only 5 weeks old so my doctor gave me the ok not that long ago.
My OB gave me an RX for it, I am 23 weeks and have been taking it since I was 12 weeks. It is category C but my OB thinks it's benefits outweigh the risks for me.
Thank you ladies,

Lots of information. I think I will wait till I talk to my doctor. I hope pregnancy does make me more regular too. I see my doctor tomorrow. Pretty exciting, but very scary at the same time. This will be my fourth pregnancy. You think I would be a pro at this. Thanks again ladies.
KeeLolo commented on photo
10 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on krichar's status
12 mins ago
hansen20 commented on photo
49 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy