Question Omega 3 Fatty acids
I am 10 weeks pregnant and have been taking the generic prenatal vitamins plus over the counter Omega 3 fatty acid supplements that contain fish oil concentrate from Kroger since I don't eat seafood. They have 240mg of DHA and 360mg of EPA in 2 capsules. My doctor told me to take them, but online I've been finding that the fish oil and other things in the over the counter supplements may be bad during pregnancy. The pharmacist told me to stop taking them and check with my Dr but my Dr told me to take them. Just wondering if anyone else is taking extra Omega 3 Fatty acids, and if so, what kind?
Try Rainbow Light DHA.  They contain fish oils, but boast that the contaminants and metals which might be harmful are removed.  Talk to your doctor about the brand you're using.  I use DHA tabs with fish oils, and it says the same thing about removed contaminants.  I don't know the brand I'm currently using, but I have used Rainbow Light in the past.
I have been taking Omega 3 supplements everyday my entire pregnancy and Dr's highly recommend it, there are numerous studies that talk aboutthe benefits of Omega 3 and very few that talk about risks associated with pregnancy.  I am 5 months pregnant and my baby is very healthy so far.
The risks associated are from fish oil that comes from contaminated fish.  You should look for supplements that are "distilled" from contaminants.
What brand of Omega 3's are you using? I have been taking just the Kroger brand Omega 3's with fish oil concentrate. Should I maybe look at the health food store for some that are especially for pregnancy? Thanks!
You don't need anything special for pregnancy. I take about 2000mcg a day, just take as much as it says on the bottle. Usually is one or two caps a day.

I don't know what brand you should use, but I use all natural prenatal vitamins and Omega 3 from natural health stores, I pay a little extra but they are worth it they don't have any chemicals or artificial additives that are unnecessary.
Ok maybe I'll go to my health food store and see what they have. I would probably feel better if I got something more natural. Thanks!
I took the Enfamil DHA & Omega- 3 supplement because it is designed for pregnant women, but I am sure that if your doc told you to take them then you are just fine. DHA/ Omega- 3 fatty acids are very important for your baby's brain development so I don't know why the pharmacist would recommend you stop taking them.
You get the same vitamins by eating walnuts, navy beans, kidney beans, flaxseed and using olive oil if you don't like seafood.  I think that's it.  I asked my dr. about taking Omega 3 with this babe and he told me that as long as I eat a well balanced diet there is no need (I don't eat seafood either) to take a supplement.  He advised that walnuts and flaxseed are an excellent source and contain more omega 3 than eating fish (unless you eat fish daily).  All you need is a 1/4 cup of each every other day.  He told me the less you take during pregnancy the better.  I also have to supplement Calcium as I am lactose intolerant.  Suggested that I am better off to find foods that carry the same vitamins as your body absorbs them better.  Much cheaper than taking a supplement.  I didn't take Omega 3's with my first and she is a very smart, healthy 27 month old.  

All healthy foods contain all sorts of vitamins which are very important for brain development.  Your child is not going to be any less off if you don't take the Omega 3.    

When I called to ask the pharmacist, she was unsure right off the top of her head if they were safe or not, so she looked it up in a book and said they are a pregnancy category C so she told me to stop taking them and ask my Dr about them. Well, when I called the Dr, she told me to take them. I would probably feel a little better if I got the ones that are for pregnancy and are a little more natural. Where can I find the Enfamil brand? Thanks.
it seems weird to me that your dr told you not to take them, but if you are concerned with his/her comment you could try something like flax seed. I grind mine into a smoothie or eat them on yogurt or oatmeal they are a great source of omega 3.
The Enfamil ones are in the vitamin isle at the grocery store. I usually find them next to the children's vitamins.
I went to the Dr today and I asked her about the over the counter Omega 3's that I have been taking and she gave me a Rx for DuetDHA brand prenatal vitamins, that have the DHA included. Has anyone tried these? I think I'm going to try them. I'd probably feel better about taking those than the grocery store brand Omega 3's.