Rythmic back pain. No contractions?
At about 4pm I started getting middle and lower back pain that comes and goes. My mom was worried maybe it is back labor, but I do not notice any tightening of my uterus. Is it possible to have back labor and not notice anything in your abdomen?

I know it sounds kind of silly, but me being me, I can't help worrying.
this is the exact same reason i just got on here!!!  my back started hurting a little while ago and its in the middle, too!  nothing else AT ALL is happening so i was just wondering if my back was just achy...  so i'll wait till someone answers you!!!  :)
You need to call your doctor, and if you can't get ahold of them, give your local ER a call. It is very possible that it's labor... from what I've heard, sometimes with "back" labor you won't necessesarily(sp?) recognise true contractions.
Thank you. I am going to call L&D and see what they say. I'll let you know as soon as I know something.
i've never had any sort of labor pains ever w/ all of my kids...  so i've definately never had back labor before...  where in your back should/ would it be?  would it be constant or come and go like a contraction?  i've noticed when i have strong BH contractions that the baby doesn't move during them, but then does after them...  is it the same for feeling back labor?  i honestly don't think anything is going on w/ me but i would really like to know just in case!!!  i'm delivering this friday and you just never know what could happen!!!
Well this comes from my mom: (i'm on my first pregnancy so havent had it yet and won't as I'm having a Csection)

She said that her back would hurt, and it would start in back and wrap around to the front in waves.

And the reason the baby doesn't move during BH contractions is he/she is squished during them and really cant move much. lol
Mom also told me that BH contractions are similar to labor contractions but really don't hurt. She said your uterus will usually get rock hard during labor contractions and also sometimes with BH contractions.

(I disagree on the BH contractions, because She tried to claim my whole tummy even the "fat" parts would get hard.. but I've had several BH's and only my uterus gets hard like I'm tightening my muscles)
I called L&D and they said to use comfort meausres and to take some Tylenol PM to get some sleep. She said if I am not able to sleep because of the pain, or they get worse to come in and get checked because it sounds like the beginning of some back labor.

They just kind of start and get gradually worse, then go away. I am not having any in my abdomen though. I didn't have back labor with my DD so this is new to me too.
sfritz-  i hope you got some good sleep!!!  tell us if anything else happens...  the june mommies could end up having up to 3 births to add to the list this week!!!  :)

i was able to go to sleep (well pass out from being overly tired!) easily so i'm guessing that mine ws just my back hurting!  we had to get up early though to take dh to the airport and i was fine until we got back home and now my back is hurting again!  but still w/ nothing else going on...  so i guess i'm just gonna say mine is just hurting from the housework i did this weekend!!!

martika- thank you for that info!
I took some Tylenol PM and went to bed at 10:30. The pains stopped, so I don't know what is going on. I woke up at 12:45 and have been awake since. I am just not able to sleep and it's kind of driving me crazy. I have had some BH today, but none in my back. I think this little bugger just likes teasing me! ;-)
you mean you've been awake since 12:45 last night?!?!?!?!  dude...  you need some rest!!!!  :)
If only I could. My mom needs DH and I to take her truck up to the shop, then she needs picked up from work for lunch, then dropped back off at work after lunch, then I have to pick my DD up from school, then pick mom up from work. Hopefully after all that I can get some rest! (Watch, about the time I try to, baby Jessie will have other plans for me.)
well your day sounds pretty full!!!  if you can't get sleep in there somewhere at least stay hydrated so you don't pass out while driving!!!  :)  its no fun when you can't get rest!!!  

actually maybe all that running around might be the ticket for your little one to make an appearance!!!