Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Sequential Screen/Downs Testing

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Sequential Screen/Downs Testing

Has anyone done this test?

I was offered it today as Im 11 weeks...and was just curious how accurate it is...etc etc etc...

I declined the first trimester testing on the grounds that I would not terminate no matter the result.  Not only out of pro-life principles, but because there IS a margin of error and I couldn't live with myself wondering if I'd terminated a healthy baby.

They can do a much more in depth test via ultrasound at 20 or so weeks, I did go through with that because I would want to be prepared if my child was going to be born with a health condition that needed immediate treatment after birth .
When my mother was pregnant with me her dr at the time did this test and confirmed that I had downs synrome and would not survive. They had insisted she terminate me and whenmy mother and father regard they tried forcing my mother to terminate.
They left that dr and saw another and shortly after they confirmed it was an error and I would be okay just with heart defects.
I thank god my mom and dad stood up for their beliefs agaisnt their doc otherwise I would not be here!
I am 18 now and very healthy.
Just goes to show that even drs make mistakes.
Regard = refused*
Hey Ricki,

I got the test done, just to know.  I had a blood test in 1st trimester and an ultrasound, then another blood test in 2nd trimester that I actually just did today.  My thought is it is better to be prepared.  We would most likely not terminate but I would want to know what I have ahead of me.  Our first blood test and ultrasound showed everything as negative.  The second blood test is to confirm this.  I have heard they are very accurate especially in this day and age with technology being so advanced.

The choice is yours though, everyone is different.
I have had this testing in all three of my pregnancies. The test is not a firm answer that the baby may have problems. The results will only indicate if the baby is at higher risk for downs etc, and whether or not more testing is required. For example an amniocentecies or CT scan.

I truly believe that not many woman would make decisions about thier pregnancy based on the results of one test alone but it may point the way if further testing is required.
My Dr told me that there is a concern that they (with the needle as that is how these tests are done as they pull it from the space between the head and the neck) that things can go wrong and a birth defect and termination can be a result of the test itself!  If the answer doesn't matter, he said I recommend to NOT get the test.  He said that of every test done (CVS and the Amnio-not routine blood work etc).  Because the risk to the fetus isn't really worth any test result if it doens't matter to the parents.
Talking to other mothers in our area, 100% had the incorrect answers.  Said tested okay, when there were issues, and said issues, when the baby was perfect.  

Belle313 commented on photo
13 mins ago
jugglin commented on photo
20 mins ago
spider6 commented on photo
32 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy