Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Shortened Cervix

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Shortened Cervix

Has anyone ever experienced, or heard of anyone who has had a shortened cervix. I called my Dr. office today to find out why they are scheduling me for a 3rd ultrasound. She told me that in the last ultrasound, it showed my cervix is 1.9 cm, and it should be 3cm or more. The nurse told me not to lift heavy things, and to not have any intercourse (I have not had intercourse for over 2 months anyway, because of the bleeding I've had before). I did some research online about shortened cervix and what I read scares me so much. It says that having a shortened cervix puts you at risk for preterm labor. I am only 24 weeks, so I am terrified. I also found out that when women are diagnosed with a short cervix, they are put on bedrest. So far, I have not been told any of this. If I hadn't called to check up on it, I wouldn't have found out until June 20, which is when my ultrasound is scheduled for. I also read online that sometimes it could be ok to have a short cervix. Has anyone had this happen and had a healthy pregnancy and baby?
I havent had it personally but i did grab this info off the net, not sure if you have read it but its useful:

"It can be very frustrating to get information like "your cervix is short" without really knowing what it will mean for you and your baby. Unfortunately, it is not possible to foretell what this will lead to in your individual situation. Sometimes a short cervix indicates that the baby is going to come early, while other times (in retrospect) it turns out that the length of the cervix was probably normal for your body.

When the cervix is found to be short, doctors usually have to treat you as if the baby is threatening to come early, because it is better to err on the cautious side. Although this may result in some women unnecessarily diminishing their activities (and worrying a lot), it's better than being cavalier and having a preemie.

That said, your practitioner will probably have you to avoid activities that put pressure on your cervix in an attempt to prevent contractions, including:

avoiding sex and exercise,

working less or taking a leave for a few weeks,

and maybe even going to bedrest for a period of time.

If the baby is born early, or shortly after the restrictions are lifted, it may become clear that the short cervix was a real sign of risk; if you go to your due date (or beyond) you will know that it was a false alarm.

Hope that helps!
I am not sure excally what the major risks are but I know when I was 25 weeks pregnant I was schudled for a Ultrasound due to preterm labor. My cervix was not shortned but they will have to moniter you a few time to make sure it does not get shorter. I know it does pose a very serious risk for preterm labor.... Keep us posted! Best Wishes.
Thank you so much for responding....

Hales20: I did read that article. I googled "shortened cervix" and found many articles, including the one you posted. It did make me feel a bit better, I really do hope that it's normal for my body. I am so scared of giving birth early. I was wondering why they haven't told me to take a leave from work. I feel like I need that right now because it has become so hectic and chaotic.

Linzola: Thanks for the wishes. I will keep you posted. I think I will stay home tomorrow and try to reach out my doctor and ask her for a leave from work. I rather be safe than sorry. Congratulations on your impending delivery and I am glad that your pregnancy has turned out well for you.
When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby I was put into the hospital for shortened cervix. Mine was at 1cm.  I was measured a lot every week to see if it was improving any at all. Some days it would actually be at 3cm, but then it would go back down to really short again. Continued this way until I reached 25 wks 1day and my water broke and I delivered a 1lb 6oz baby girl (she's very healthy today age 3 now). If you haven't been put on strict bedrest I would put yourself on it anyway. My water broke when I was allowed to actually start walking to go to the bathroom instead of using bed pan in the hospital. Better safe than sorry and I don't understand why they didn't admit you to hospital or at least tell you to go home and stay in the bed.
Yeah, I don't understand either why they didn't even call me to tell me this. They just scheduled me for an ultrasound 3 weeks from now, and I didn't even know why. If I hadn't called yesterday, I wouldn't have found out until I had that ultrasound. What if something happens before then? I did stay home from work today and I am going to stay in bed. I'm going to call my Dr.'s office and demand them to check it for me sooner. I really would rather be safe than sorry. I am very scared by your story of giving birth so early, but the fact that you had a healthy baby at 25 weeks makes me feel a better. I am 24 weeks today, so my baby is considered viable. Thank God. I still want to keep my baby boy in there as long as possible though, so I will take any precautions that I need to take. Thank you so much for your response.
My name is Stephanie and Im having twins and im 25 weeks i been having pains alot and having alot of pressure in my vagina and my cervix was at 3.5 and now is at 1.9 and im scared out of my mind that they will come early and I would like to know is it safe to have intercourse
I was put on bedrest my drs would have put you on bedrest it does put you at a higher risk for preterm labor so id just try to kinda do your own bedrest and take it easy definitely dont be lifting anything and limit yourself to what your doing i also have growth restriction problems where my babies dont really grow and possibly stop so thats another reason im on bedrest. It doesn't mean your baby is on the way out but definitely take it easy and have family and friends do alot for you. Hope all is well and hopefully your next ultrasound will bring some good news think positive and try not to stress easier said then done but please take it easy
Stephanie is not safe to have sex. My cervix drop from 2.5 to 1.79 with 11 days. They discharged me on strict bed rest. When I was in the hospital they only let me use bed pan. Good luck
Thank you that helps ;) and what should i do for my cervix to stay where its at cuz my doctor has not put me on bed rest all he is doing is making me come in everyweek so far i tell him i been getting pain and pressure in my vagina and my stomach gets hard and i get alot of pain and pressure
KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne commented on Gardezi's status
Stashie23009 surgery went well! feeling ... Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy