Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Splenda ok during pregnancy

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Splenda ok during pregnancy

Hi Girls.  I am 7 weeks and still enjoy a coffee in the morning .   Is it ok to add splanda  ?  Thanks !!!
I personally use splenda as well. I asked my nurse and she gave me the ok..  However, My doctor also said 2 caffienated beverages per day was fine too.. I had a post a couple weeks ago about caffeine intake and it ended up in a little bit of a debate..

My vote is splenda is fine, but I am sure you will get PLENTY of feedback on this one! =)
Now that you are pregnant I don't think that you need or should cut back on calories like sugar.  White refined sugar is not great but you can use the natural or brown sugar that is better absorbed and digested.  I'd say go natural, if you don't know or aren't sure with Splenda then go natural, its always safe.  Splenda is made from sugar BUT by no means is sugar.
Yeah I am not sure.  I stayed away from all sugar substitutes, however I have know people who drank a diet coke everyday when pregnant.  So it is up to you!  I am with mumita though...try to stay as natural as possible.
I had this same question in my first pregnancy because I had been on the Atkins Diet and had switched to a lot of drinks with Splenda in it.  Even after 'slipping' from the diet, I still drank diet soda and *loved* my Crystal Light.  Here's what the American Pregnancy Association says about Splenda:

"Sucralose: (Splenda) This is non-caloric sweetener that is made from sugar. Sucralose has been approved for use in baked goods, baking mixes, non-alcoholic beverages, chewing gum, coffee and tea products, confections and frostings, fats and oils, frozen dairy desserts and mixes, fruit juices, sugar substitutes, sweet sauces, toppings and syrups. It can also be used as “table-top sweetener.” Sucralose has no effect on blood sugar, offers no calories, and is deemed safe during pregnancy and lactation. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), sucralose is safe for everyone to consume, including pregnant women."

For more info about artificial sweetners, you can either google it, or check out the APA's website (take out the spaces tho): http://www. americanpregnancy.  org/pregnancyhealth/artificialsweetner.htm

Depending on your situation, it's up to you if you want to use artificial sweetners or choose a more natural sugar.  If you're diabetic (or prone to gestational diabetes) I don't know if the natural sugars are 'safe'.  But if all else fails ...ask your doctor!!  That's what we pay them all that money for.  =D
I wouldn't risk it.  It is realitively "new" to the market and has not been around long enough, in my opinion, for there to be a definitive yes or no consensus.  The first trimester is the most critical period for the embryo/fetus.  Introducing "chemical" compounds to the embryo, in my opinion, is risky.  How long was asphertame on the market before scientists and doctors realized, "Hmmm... I guess this isn't good for pregnant women and their babies."  So, if it were me, I would say... GO NATURAL :)  No one every wonders if they should eat pure sugar :)  Its your choice, so do what you think is ok.
Splenda is okay...its worse for you rather than the baby because its not "real sugar". I used Splenda like it was my job before I was Preggers...not for diet purposes as I am very thin but because I hate the crunch of sugar and I just loved the taste of Splenda. So when I got Preggers my doctor said it was fine to enjoy it. Obviously not a boat load of it but it was safe. So just like anything you eat, moderation is the key! But enjoy your Pregnancy!
I use Splenda but I chose not to when I was pregnant.  I just stuck with the real thing.  I'm sure it's fine though.  My doctor even said if I'm going to do soda that I should just stay with regular soda and not do diet.
I heard it is ok to use spenda and I also heard it isn't. So really it is up to you. I don't think enough study has been done on it to say wheather or not it is safe or unsafe. I would ask your doctor on you next visit.
veronica0808 commented on photo
hansen20 commented on photo
dianaexoh uploaded a new photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy