Took Xanax when trying to conceive
My husband and I just started TTC. I was prescripted Xanax a while back to treat anxiety. I take it on an as needed basis. I feel terribly irresponsible, but I realize that I took a pill around the time I was ovulating (before implantation would have occurred). :( I do not even know if I will get pregant and this is our first month trying, but I am very upset and anxious. I am scared that I could have impacted the pregancy, even in it's first few days. I have not taken it since. Can any share any advice or personal experiences with me? I have an appt with my obgyn, but it is not for three weeks. Any information anyone can share would be helpful. I am very scared.
I think my mom took xanax or something like that before she got pregannt with me (my mom has terrible anxiety as well) and didn't effect really anything. I know she stopped it when she was pregnant with me and then was just put back onto it when I was born and still been on it since. You should stop taking them now but I don't think taking them before would harm anything.
Xanax before implanting or at the time of implanting is OK. Baby wouldn't have gotten any of it and if they did it was such a small amount. Xanax IS used in pregnancy but only if anxiety is severe enough to warrant it. The main problem is once baby has a heartbeat (which they don't until six weeks) it can cause a decrease in heart rate. So please don't beat yourself up or panic about this. Even before AF arrives people have known to get very drunk and that wont effect baby either. So take a deep breath and relax. You didn't do anything wrong at all.

If you are having anxiety and you need medication a safe medication which is for daily use and by prescription is zoloft. It is very safe and effective and has been used for decades even in pregnancy. You can ask your OB about it. I am finishing up my phd in clinical psych so I am well educated in the world of psych meds :)
Thank you so much! I am still upset with myself- I should have known to look into it sooner- but I do feel a little more at ease. This is our first month trying and it is a bit overwhelming. There is so much to consider. I really appreciate your input. :)

Congrats on working toward your phd. That is wonderful!
Thank you for responding, Nicole. I have completely stopped taking them, so hopefully I do not encounter any problems if I do become pregnant.
No worries don't beat yourself up about it. Seriously you are going to be a great mom!  Many people knowingly take meds that are not safe because they think about themselves before baby. So the fact that you are willing to put a potential baby first, you are going to be a great mom!  If you have bad anxiety try a warm bath (not too hot) a nap, relaxing and even surprisingly benadryl!  Many of my clients use benadryl for anxiety. It's mainly for allergies but the sedative property to it also decreases anxiety. Additionally two vitamins safe in pregnancy and can help when ttc are vitamin B6 and B12. Obviously always ask your OB before taking anything while pregnant and make sure you don't take anything that would have a reaction with any other meds. But B vitamins help decrease anxiety and depression, increase energy, helps with fertility and decreases morning sickness :)

Thank you for the congrats, I'm very excited just finishing up my dissertation hope to be done within a year now that I've finished all of my course work :)