Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Toporol and Pregnancy

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Toporol and Pregnancy

I have high BP and saw a maternal fetal medicine doc prior to TTC. He told me toporol was fine to take. I am now 13 weeks pregnant and reading things about how its Cat 3 and NOT safe! I'm now freaking out! Has anyone Bern on this throughout an entire pregnancy? If so, what happened? Why was this chosen for me if not safe?!?! Nothing else was tried and it seems others are safer! :/
I've been on it since 17 weeks. I'm now 38 weeks and baby is great! It's one of the only safe ones to take during pregnancy. I just have extra ultrasounds to make sure the fluid levels are good and to measure growth. Ive had them every 3 weeks since I was put on the med and I've never had an issue with low fluid or growth restriction. My baby is measuring 3 weeks ahead and is wonderful! I was put on the med to lower my pulse rate.
Thank you, this makes me feel a bit better. Yes, I also an measuring a head of schedule, though, right now he has not scheduled me for extra ultra sounds...should I ask for that?
I'm not sure, my ob explained to me that the only risks the medication could have is possible growthrestriction ( very small chance) and possible low fluid count also low chance. I told him my worries about those possible risks and we discussed alternative solutions and then he said he would like to just have me get an ultrasound every 3-4 weeks to make sure all was good. I of course was very happy because I felt at ease. And we ended up getting them every 3 weeks. The first 2 ultrasounds were kind of scary because we were so unsure if there would be any issues and there never was, I just had my last one friday and I have enjoyed every single one so much as now I look at it as a way to see my precious baby boy so often! My ob never said anything about the typical protocal for having ultrasounds with this med so I'm not sure if it's common to get them like I did. I didnt have any heart problems before pregnancy, perfect bp and pluse. Maybe speak with your ob about your concerns and ask what type of things he can do to ensure your little one won't be effected by the medication. I know it's scary, I was petrified to take a medication like that but the risks or taking it definitely outweigh the risks of not when it comes to the health of momma. A healthy momma makes a healthy baby! Let me know if there is anything else I can do!
Thanks.  He did also put me on extra folic acid...I guess that might help to possibly "counteract" some of the effects.  I've been on it since before conceiving.  I was on Diovan for years which he did say was a NO NO for sure but he didn't want me off something completely because going into a pregnancy with uncontrolled BP is more unsafe...which makes sense and I totally get that.  Plus he didn't want to have to start TRYING meds once I was pregnant...again, that makes sense.  He said any one in this family (beta blockers) was fine, but I'm reading different things now and feel like he should have tried other things that seem to be more safe and I don't know why he didn't.  I didn't question because he is supposed to be one the best and most highly regarded maternal fetal medicine docs in my state!  But I came across something yesterday that made me question and now I'm finally researching it and am scared. I will be calling Monday morning for sure but can't wait that long...would love to hear from people who have been on it.  Although I've been on through the entire first trimester which is making me nervous!!!  Although...like I said, my first trimester screening/ultrasound looked very good!  Just in a panic right now.
Im 15 w and my dr wants me to go back to check my bp due to it being a lil high what was you ladies bp at to have to go on meds im so worried
Like I said, I have Bern on meds for YEARS...it runs on both sides of my family. Everyone over 60 has had a heart attack or stroke or both...so I was on before. Uncontrolled I've been as high as 160/110!!! I have been fine it has and have had fine readings so far...now just worried that I've been on it now! :/
I run 160s/110-120 since i was a teen but every med I've gone on makes me pass out :( my doc isn't sure what to do with me.
O wow mine was 160/80 but its more safer to be on a bp med than not if its real high I was reading that there is a safe.med for preg not sure of what one it was...my bp was always normal and preg shot up mine a lot
Oddly enough pregnancy usually brings mine down quite a bit the further along I get, I was running 120/60 when I had my daughter, then at my 6 week postpartum it was right back up. It's crazy, I'm perfectly healthy, a good weight, watch my salt religiously, and have no family history of high bp or heart disease.
I totally agree and understand it should be controlled prior to pregnancy.  Mine actually went way down and I asked my doc immediately should I change my dose, but he said no...it is supposed to be lower during pregnancy.  But it is slowly creeping back up to my pre-pregnancy numbers...so I guess that's why.  I'm just concerned I should have been offered or given something hat was more safe.  I don't think I should have not been on anything...I just would like to hear some success stories I guess to make me feel more comfortable!
melimeli, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
9 mins ago
KTowne, and melimeli commented on veronica0808's status
27 mins ago
KTowne commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy