Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Twins?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Twins?

I am not pregnant, but we are talking about starting to try very soon, with in the next year or so. I was wondering what the chances are of having twins. My husband's sisters are triplets, and one died during birth, so he has twin sisters now, and on my family side My fathers aunts are twins. Im not sure if there are anymore in the family history, but was wondering if the male or the female carries the gene for it, or is it just something that happens?? Any answers would be great. Thanks for your time.  
Well, I think it the mother gene. My sister inlaw is a twin and she has 5 sets of then in her family and she hasnt twins let. and My mother is a twin and my sister was a twin and we havent had any let. So I guess its just a hit or a miss.
wow, you have lots of twins in your family.. but thank you for your response.
Twins run on my mother's side as well. Her mother had 2 sets of twins and one set of Triplets, although none of them ever lived. Back then they didn't have any knowledge about RH- Blood so some babies didn't make it.

However my first pregnancy in Last march was with twins. I miscarried at 17 weeks due to chromosome problems.
This time around I am 4 weeks pregnaunt (pregnant) and getting a lot of early intensified symptoms. Feels like that pregnancy in march. So I am gonna let my doc know, just in case its twins again.

i've actually been doing some reading on the chances of having twins.  if it runs on your mother's side of the family then you could have a chance of having them.  if it runs on your husbands side of the family its not supposed to have an effect on your chances.  my grandmother was a twin and my mom is a twin.  but none of my mom's siblings had twins.  i have already had 3 children (all girls!) and am currently pregnant w/ my 4th.  your chances are supposed to increase w/ the # of pregnancies you have.  i have my 1st u/s on thursday so we'll see!  although, if we find out its twins i'll probably have a heart attack!!!
Hi!! One my mom side there are 2 sets of twins my great grandma's sister and brother were twins, then my mom's brother had twins. So we figured that it skip gerenations. And on my husbands side his grandpa's sister's are twins. Then we got pregnant in july and I found out we were having twin, so I think in my situtation that it was my husband who determined either we were going to have twins since it does skip gerenations.
congrats on your twins.  even though i've been reading about it i still don't understand how twins work.  but in my family's case my mom's mom was a twin and then she had twins herself, so it didn't skip a generation in that case.  but then it did skip a generation after that b/c neither my mom or her twin sister or her other sister and brother had any.  and so far out of the cousins in my family non of us has had them yet either.  its all really confusing to me!!!
I think its just luck, I have two sets of twins on my mothers side and one my fathers. This is my fourth pregnancy (theres only one).
well there is five sets of twins only on my mothers side i myself am a twin and the other set of twins that are two years apart from me and my twin dont have twins they are boys. so the women are the ones who normally carry the twin or mutliple gene. not the male. but the funny thing is that my mother first cousin  had the twin boys and then my mohter went into labor on my cousin who has the twin boys birthday how ironic. we have three sets of boys and two set of girls and one set didnt make it they were girls.
Thank you for your comments.. i have heard about the skipped generations as well, but still not sure, i dont think i have any twins on my moms side.. so if the woman carry the gene, then I dont think it will happen. But good luck to you all!
The chances of having twins depends on the woman. Identical twins happen by chance of one egg spliting into two. But Faternal twins are when a woman releases two eggs at the same time. Has nothing to do with the man, cause it only take one sperm to fertalize any one egg. So it does depend on if your body releases one or more eggs in one ovulation cycle. Hope that helps!
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
desderius commented on photo
desderius commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy