Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
VERY WORRIED

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

VERY WORRIED

Hi my name is Beth and my sister in law is 6 months pregnant and is abusing pain pills. Her and my brother have been addicated  to them for some time. I am very worried about her and my nephew, she has no perscription for them and I am just wanting some information for her. Is this hurting the baby? Can they take the child when its born with this in its system? Will she go to jail? I dont know what to do!!! Any advice you have would help!! Thanks!!
Well first off let me say that you should try to stop them before something terrible happens. He taking pain pills is dangerous for her and the baby. It can cause her to miscarry or give birth to a child with defects and/or a drug addiction. Doctors test mothers and babies when they are born for toxins which also list any drugs they may be taking. The can tell by blood or urine, and they dont have to wait until the baby is born to take the tests. If something doesnt seem right to a doctor they can test for toxins, and if a drug pops up in the system them she can be arrested and the baby will be taken away. If she has a miscarriage and tests positive for drugs some states and countries would put you in jail for murder. She could also get arrested for child endangerment. If the doctors or authorities find out that she is doing these drugs the child would go to the next of kin. Not likely your brother seeing that he is using and they will test everyone who comes forward for the child first before any further custody is discussed. If nobody in the family gets custody then the child will be placed in foster care and possibly put up for a legal adoption in which your family will not be able to see the baby. I dont mean to scare you in any way but I come from a family of lawyers, and they would say do something as soon as you can for the life of that unborn child. Just make sure that you are obeying the law in doing so.
I dunno, I would check what the laws say in whatever state she resides in. What kind of pain pills is it?
Yes, taking medication during pregnancy can lead to some real serious problems for the baby, also the family. They will test the baby at birth and yes the child can be taken from them.  At that time they will then have to go threw treatment and parenting classes + in order to recieve the child back. They can also face legal issues since the medications are not in there names  I know it sounds harsh, but I would call her Dr and give them your concerns.  You can tell them who you are or not. They will check for drugs in her system and then try working with her now, before the baby is here. If that dosent work you can contact Child Services.  Good luck to ALL of you.
hansen20 happy 4th of july everyone!... Comment
12 mins ago
specialmom commented on Jade59's status
specialmom commented on Lose Weight and Boost...
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy