Vistaril (Hydroxyzine) during pregnancy?!?!?
Ok so one of the meds my doc gave me today is generic Vistaril 50 mg twice a day.  His words were "it's mild and perfectly safe for baby" But I looked it up and it's Pregnancy Catagory D?!?!?

Anyone know anything about this drug or every used it during pregnancy?
It seems that the most concern is when it's taken in the first trimester. It seems it's only recommended when there are no other alternatives. There seems to be confusion on what class it is, cause I've seen it labeled as both a C and D. Call and get a second opinion and see if there's anything else you can take. I believe you said you were using it for anxiety, nausea and sinus? If so, there might be a few better things that you can take which might be safer.
That's pretty much what I've gotten from checking it out.  I did find an old medhelp post where someone took it in the 2nd trimester for preterm labor and had no issues...but that's one person.  
I was told by my doctor that it is a Class C medication (when I was preggo 2 years ago).  I took it during my 2nd and 3rd trimester and Jazmine is perfectly fine.  It is routinely prescribed for pregnant women who suffer from panic attacks, insomnia, or allergies.  It is also used  during the labor process if a women needs help relaxing a little.  I took it on an as-needed basis.
Do you remember the dose you were on?  I know he put me on the lower dose (50 mg 2x day) How often did you have to take it?  I only have 4 weeks left and it's really only to get me through all this with my mom and making the trip up there and back.  
Nope, but I can look it up since I still have the pills in my purse!  

25 mg tablets to be taken every 6 h as needed.  So the dosage over a 24h period is the same as what you have been prescribed.  

Im not a doctor but the medications to watch out for in the 3rd trimester are those that cause a physical dependence (baby might have some withdrawals after delivery).  I dont know enough about this medication in that sense but I suspect this isnt a major issue since this can be given (and this is quite routine) during labor (it certainly doesnt cause the type of dependency that Xanax does).  A good person to talk too about this is your pharmacist.  You might not need to take this on a routine basis if your anxiety/stress levels are controlled by taking the medication on an as needed basis and that would certainly limit any dependency issues (if they even occur with Vistaril).

My doctor told me that is was not an issue to take Vistaril while pregnant but check with a pharmacist for more clarification.

Also, based on the extreme amount of stress you must be under its nice to have sometime to help take the edge off - sounds like the benefits far outweigh any risks in your case.   Vistaril WILL help you.  Just be careful when you take it because it might make you a little sleepy (so dont take before you drive!)
Thanks. That makes me feel better about taking it.  He has it prescribed to take twice a day regardless but I think at this point I'll just use it as needed and perhaps to help me sleep.  
Yeah it's very similar to benedryl...and it definitely doesn't cause dependence. I took it before I was pregnant with Kahlan for nausea for my hiatal hernia...it's an amazing drug, and very under-prescribed in my opinion. better than zofran or reglan for nausea (not better than phenergan though) and better than benedryl for sinus, you don't get as tired...and better than xanax because you don't get a headache OR get addicted.

'thumbs up for vistaril, imo. especially during pregnancy because it's so low-key.
Is it ok to take while trying to get pregnant?
I was just prescribed by my OB Nurse Practitioner Visteril today (hydroxyzine pamoate 50mg) for sleep. I looked into it before picking it up. She wanted me to swap from taking Ambien (had been on that for about 5 years).  I'm 8 weeks pregnant and after looking into the classification Ambien is category C but this Visteril is category X! Which means do NOT EVER take pregnant (birth defects) so yea I can't believe she'd want me to do that!!
This drug is not a narcotic and is not habit forming. Should be totally safe after the first trimester.