Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
Walking Epidural?!

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Walking Epidural?!

So I was wondering if anyone ever had a walking epidural as opposed to a regular epidural?

I am going in with the mindset of avoiding an epidural if at all possible. But my pain tolerance is pretty low so I know that an epidural is likely for me, especially as I've given birth twice before (both with epidurals).

I want to be able to choose the position I give birth in (squatting preferably) but won't be able to do so with a regular epidural. I also do NOT want a catheter.

So share your experiences if you have any! I'd like to have a pain option available in the event I can't keep my control together.
Hiya joy,congrats on getting this far.I have never heard of the walking epidural.so i would be very interested in any answers.im like your self. no pain threshold ,and so far opting for regular epidural.I really would like a water birth,but um not likely :)
I had a regular epidural, but they didn't give me much medication. You can ask for that I was still able to move my legs around and could have squated, but since she came out in three pushes I just went with the standard position. It takes the edge off in a big way. YOu still feel the contractions and they are slightly uncomfortable, but your not breathing through them. Right after they cleaned me up I got up and went to the bathroom with a little support from a nurse. With my son my legs were so numb I couldn't get up for over an hour.
I onlt wish we had walking epis here!! lol i longed for it sooo bad...it would be awsome i think to have no pain and be able to walk around ( not confined to your bed) while your in labour and have it progress faster! I think you should try it if thats what you want!!
yeah we dont have them in australia either Joy, i asked about them a few times as i was keen for one also and wanted to avoid the catheter :( the dr's said they trialed them with little sucess so they are no longer available :( great idea tho i rekon! im going to try for no epi again this tim i had one with number 1 and then nothing with number 2 and he was 9.7lb so im praying i can do it again i didnt like the epi as it gave me real bad headaches the next few days i mean i was falling over etc the dural headaches, and i think the catheter was no good for my bladder as i lost bladder sensation for 2 days after it :(
epi is great at the time but i rekon u pay for it afterwards, just go in thinking that if it comes to it you can have it but you will try without dont imagine yurself having it tho, well thats what im going to do
good luck!
xx
Well bummer! I have asked on a few forums and no one seems to have them available at all. So weird!!!

NicMom- that's how my epidural was. I had it on the lowest setting and right before it was time to push I felt a lot more. I even felt her stitching my little tear (ow, ow, ow). I was able to get up and go to the bathroom but was a little shaky.

Well I'll just continue to hope that I can get through this without any epidural but know that it's okay if I do get one!
I have never heard of a walking epidural.  From my experiences, once you get it, you are pretty much bed bound, because they don't want to take the insurance risk of people falling, when their legs are numb or partially numb.
yes i have heard of them but i know nothing of them. i was going to ask my dr about them on next visit b/c i dont like the thought of being confined to my bed the whole time.
veronica0808 commented on photo
Shannon79 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Des92 Aliyah turned 8 weeks old t... Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy