Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
What is Chemical Pregnancy?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

What is Chemical Pregnancy?

I was very early when I tested positive on a home pregnancy test. This would be my fourth pregnancy, and I knew at the first symptom what it was, so I tested right away as my husband and I are leaving for Puerto Rico at the end of the week. When I went to my dr. He gave me a urine test and said that it was faintly positive. I was upset at this initial visit because the dr. barely conceded that I was actually pregnant and instead of having me fill out the normal forms and giving me and my husband all the normal paperwork on what to eat, etc... he just said you may be pregnant. I had to ask what he thought my due date would be if I was (which I was certain of). Anyway, he eventually order and HCG test to compare my levels within a 48hr period. The first level was 108 and two days later the level was 98. This level, I understand, is supposed to double every 48hrs. He called me with the results and said that he wasn't very optimistic about the pregnancy and said that he thought it was probably a chemical pregnancy. I don't even know what that is. According to him, it is when your body produces the hormones for pregnancy, but you aren't actually pregnant.
However, the first symptom I had was implantation bleeding. How could I have implantation bleeding if there was never a fertilized egg??
I'm still having pregnancy symptoms: nausea, breats tenderness and pain, etc...

What is going on with my body????  
How far along would you be now?  I would have another HCG test done 48 hours or so and see what the levels look like then.  
i am so sorry for what your going through. i have had a missed  m/c last nov and a chemical pregnacy this past sept.  with my chemical pregnacy i tested on a digital test and it came back positive. i went to the doc that day . yes i was pregnant but the test at the doc was really faint. they done a hcg test on me and it was really low, but they said i could be very very early. i redone the hcg test a few days later and my lvls had hardly went up. that night i started to have the m/c. it was almost like a heavy period, no pain small cramps.
a chemical pregnancy is not a false pregnacy but yet a very early m/c before the heartbeat can be seen. your doc was wrong to tell you that its a false pregnacy!!
some info on this http://miscarriage.about.com/od/onetimemiscarriages/p/chemicalpreg.htm
A bad thing about the sensitive HPTs is you can get a positive early and with a chemical pregnancy, if you hadn't have tested early, you would have never known you were pregnant and when you began to m/c majority of the time people think it's just a period.  I'm sorry you having to go through this.  I would suggest another beta check just to make sure your levels are in fact decreasing.
Im sorry for what you are going threw, i had a missed m/c in june at 10weeks.  

I agree, the dr should not have said you were not preggo.  A chemical pregnancy is when the fertilized egg does not implant into the uterine wall, but pregnancy hormones will be present, then will drop rapidly. Normally chemical pregnancies are the ones where your are less than 6 weeks, and your cycle may come on time or a few days late and might just be a little heavier.

If you were farther along in the pregnancy and implantation occured you are having a m/c.

chemical and m/c occur because of chromosonal abnormalities,(numb 1 reason) unless you get a test done on the remains, you will not no the SPECIFIC reason.  Since m/c are so common, drs have concluded chromosonal abnormalites as the numb 1 reason.

Have your levels checked again, you might want to even consider talking to your dr about his/her comment and maybe find another dr.

Im a nurse and the patients always comes first, and that was just rude and inappropriate for the dr to say that

I will keep you in my prayers.
Shannon79, KeeLolo, and KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Shannon79 commented on veronica0808's status
KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy