Who has decided to save their baby's Cord Blood?
Hello ladies.  I was just wondering how many of you have decided to save your baby's cord blood.  I have done it with my last two children and I am going to do the same with this pregnancy as well, and if you have which blood bank have you chosen??
I've decided to delay cord clamping/cutting, which is beneficial in making sure baby gets those wonderful stem cells.

Also, my hospital doesn't collect cord blood, either for donation or to bank. If the option was available, I'd DONATE. But I wouldn't pay to put their cord blood in the bank unless they had rare blood types.
Yeah I hear you.  It's just that I already have a daughter who has Diabetes, and this disease doesnt occur at birth, it can occur at anytime, and that have been doing studies, so maybe hopefully in the future, they can have something promising for  children with this chronic illness, and I'm saving my other childrens blood in case the same thing happens to them.
I would if I could afford it.
It's like $1000 to do that sh*t and I'm a broke b*tch!
lmao
We couldnt afford it, but I think it is a wonderful idea if your finances allow you to do so.
lol Riot I'm in the same boat
My daughter saved my granddaughter's cord blood, which was gifted to her by her mother-in-law.  It gives them piece of mind.
Gerry- I think anyone who knows their child may be pre-dis-positioned to any sort of disease or illness definitely should bank!!! I didn't mean to make it out to seem it was worthless or not important. ;-)
JOY - Don't worry I never took it that way :)
This was a post from a while ago, but I just came across it......I banked my sons cord blood.....The stem cells can be used to help family members as well.  For instance, if my husband or I end up with cardiac issues they can use the cells to rebuild tissue, I currently have a bad knee and the stem cells can be used to help rebuild cartilage in my knee.....If we were to have another child with issues, we could use Reid's umbilical cord blood if indicated.  I could go on and on...

Anyway, it is somewhat expensive...for those of you who are TTC or just became pregnant and are interested....we just saved $20/week until I had the baby.  We went thru CBR and if you work in the medical field, they will give a discount.....You can also make payments to them after they receive the cord blood (for 6 months).  So, they do make it manageable for most people.  Storage is $156/year.

I'll shut up now!  heehee!