anxiety/depression meds during pregnancy
what are some safe anxiety meds and depression meds to take during pregnancy? I just found out i am 8 wks pregnant with my first child. I have been on seroquel (3X/day) for the past 5 yrs, I detoxed from and 8 yr bout w/ xanax and klonopin 5 months ago. I am trying to find something thats safe for me and my baby for mostly anxiety. Does anyone have any suggestions?
they dont reckmend any really. i am now 25 weeks and just got my klonopin back. i had to wait due to the birth defects. im still not able to take them daily and only when it gets bad.. im sorry cause i know it is rough and alot of people on here will tell you to deal without the meds but honestly unless you have it (to a severe degree)you cant understand it.
most of them are class D drugs and you may get them back after the 12th week due to the fact most birth defects are done by then.. just ask your OB.. not the other doctors.
they had me on paxill with my first son but they arent recomending that anymore either..
keep me posted...
anxiety meds are pretty much the same deal as pain meds during pregnancy: if you absolutely need them, they're fairly safe to take in moderated and monitored doses after the first trimester. I was on and off STRONG painkillers for kidney stones during my pregnancy and my daughter turned out absolutely fine (although be forewarned most doctors will tell you not to take anything except tylenol past about 34wks....i voluntarily stopped taking pain meds at 34wks even though I was still passing stones because I didn't know when I would deliver and wanted to have the baby's system clear and healthy:) ). Just talk to your doctor about your concerns.....if you can make it to your 2nd trimester (you've only got about 5-6weeks left) then you should be able to take a short- and long-acting anxiety meds to a certain extent...your doctor can help you make the decision....when the benefits outweigh the risks (i.e. keeping you from going crazy with anxiety) they'll almost always prescribe something they consider safe. Good luck  and CONGRATS on your pregnancy :)
my doctor has told me that is safe to take wellbutrin during pregnancy, even before the second trimester. you may want to ask your doctor about that one
I took Zoloft during my entire pregnancy...was told it was the best med for anxiety by both my OB and the NP who prescribes my meds for me...
As the others said, it's similar to pain meds. After the first trimester (1 more month for you) it's ok to take them but you take as low a dose as possible that works.

I was on pain meds during my entire pregnancy for back pain and at the end of my pregnancy was on one called oxycodone. (very strong). I tapered my dose and when my son was born had been on a lowered dose for a few days and then nothing for almost 36hrs. He didn't suffer withdrawals or anything because I did things right. (and got lucky)

I've heard that zoloft is alright during pregnancy.