baby has hernia :( any info please
hi girls, my baby is 2 weeks old and finally after seeing 3 doctors for a small lump on my babies side they say its a hernia. im so nervous i am seeing a specialist tomorrow. has anyone been through this? and if so did they have to do surgery or did the baby grow out of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, my daughter had a hernia she had to have surgery but not untill she was one because it was not bothering her, she was fine we was in and out of hospital the same day. So if they do have to operate dont worry the baby will be fine
Well, not on my babies, but I had one.  As long as your baby doesn't appear to be in pain, they will wait till 1 year of age, or as soon as there is pain from touching.  Sometimes, it could simply be say some poop caught in the intestines.  And it's causing a lump, but I believe they will do an xray to find out or u/s.  

I wouldn't stress it too much though, because hernias are fairly common in everyone.  A lot of people have them and don't even know!  And it is a 1 day procedure, in and out.  =)  If it's done before 1 year they may want to keep the baby over night to make sure the medicine is doing good, and s/he resumes eating properly.  

But seriously don't stress to much about it!  Just go in there tomorrow, and be full of questions to ask!!  It's always helpful to get as much information on everything that you can!  My son had surgery at 2 months, and I know how stressful it is to watch your baby go through that, but they (your baby) can sense your stress too!  

Good Luck and keep us posted!
I have umbilical hernias that run vertically down the center of my stomach.  I was diagnosed with them at birth.  The doctors told my parents that they would repair themselves as I grew.  Unfortunately, some of them didn't.  They never bothered me up until I was around 18 years old.  At that time, I had the majority of them repaired.  But, this pregnancy is causing some of the old hernias and some of the repaired ones to be irritated.  So, after I am done having babies I will need to get them fixed again :)  

Most likely, your specialist will suggest the "wait and see" game.  If your baby isn't bothered by it, then you shouldn't be either :)  Hopefully as your little one grows stronger stomach muscles, it will push the hernia back in.  Good luck and don't worry... all will be fine :)
I don't have any answer or experience with this, I just wanted to say good luck at your appointment tomorrow!  Hopefully the specialist will be able to put your mind at ease and take care of the situation!
Thank you girls you all have been very helpful!