breastfeeding and birth control
Hi all. I was prescribed the mini-pill for birth control as we are not sure yet if there are more babies in our future.  I took it after my first daughter was born and didn't think I had any issues.  I was told my the OB that it will not affect milk production, but after doing a lot of reading I have found that there are claims of both decrease in milk as well as an increase in some women.  Now I am worried about taking it, because with my daughter my milk dried up earlier than I would have liked despite pumping and nursing, it happened at 10 months. Have any of you ladies taken the mini-pill?  If you have, have you noticed any difference in your milk supply, whether less or more?  I did pick up my prescription, just haven't started it yet.  Any feedback would be appreciated!
I never took it but my OBGYN told me the same thing - in some women it will increase milk supply and in other it will decrease it.  The only way to find out what happens in your case is to try it.

BTW: the mini-pill needs to be taken with another form of birth control because it  is not usually effective against preventing pregnancy on its own.  Foam or condoms can be used with the minipill.
I took the mini pill only after some of my pregnancies.  I hadn't heard about the milk production thing until after I had my last baby back in Sept.  So, I have not taken it with this one.  I produced less over time but don't know if that had anything to do with the pill or if it was because I was working and was just not able to pump as much as she would have eaten from me naturally.  I never used another form of birth control though.  My doc never said I needed to.  He only said that when I stopped nursing that I needed to get on another type of bc pill if that was what my bc method was going to be.  But after I had my baby before this last one, I took it but stopped because it started making me bleed constantly, so I was not worried about getting pregnant on it.  I have heard kind of what spade was talking about but it has never been an issue for me personally and I am pretty fertile.  LOL!  Oh, I did hear another girl on the forum said that she didn't start taking it until her baby was 12 months old, due to her also hearing that it could affect her milk production as well.
It does dry up your milk and I would try other methods like using a condom and abstaining during the peak times you could get pregnant.

Why would your milk dry up before?? I have heard this from other posters about other stuff and if you are drinking enough water and not taking allergy pills and such it should not sry up. I do however know that if you pump you do not empty out the breast and that can dry up your milk. It has to be fully emptied each time so your body knows how much to produce.
My dd kind of weaned herself, she lost interest in nursing and I was pumping.  I end up with a yeast infection any time we use a condom which is why I went with the mini pill last time as well as this time.  
I never got a period until my dd was a year old with my first, so if I do happen to follow the same pattern I won't know when my fertility returns.
I used the mini-pill after my first pregnancy.  I was on the regular BCP and that dried up my supply so I switched the the mini-pill and was able to get it back to where I needed it (however due to a bad supply in the first 3 months, when I got sick I dried up).  

The mini-pill is just as effective as any other Birth Control while breastfeeding.  You also MUST take it every single day at exactly the same time or it is not effective.  I used it when I wasn't breastfeeding and didn't get pregnant (hubby and I do it ALL the time, and every time we've gotten pregnant it's always been the first cycle of trying, so I know I"m fertile).

I was told that the mini-pill is the only option other than barior methods (condoms, and the like).  

I plan on using the mini-pill until my husband and I decide what type of perment method we want to use as this will be our last.