Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
can i be a pregnant beach bum?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

can i be a pregnant beach bum?

hi girls, i am a huge fan of summer time!  i spend most of my summer at the beach or pool.  this is my first pregnancy.  what are the precautions that i need to take at the beach?  i am usually out there for 6-8 hours.  i know that i can't boogie board, body surf, etc...  how long do you think is safe to spend outside?  i usually tan pretty easily...is this dangerous for baby?  i know that my body temp shouldn't rise above 102 degrees so is that the main issue with being in the sun/beach/pool while pregnant?  any advice is appreicated!  thanks so much in advance!!!  :-)
You can spend all day outside so long as you use sunscreen and stay in the shade and keep cool. Also, STAY HYDRATED---that is the most important for the baby. I wouldn't go in the water, though, in case something happened. But hanging out at the beach should be FUN!
Actually, swimming is a great exercise to do when you are pregnant.  You are weight less so it relieves pressure from your back!!  I would however, take it easy and not over do it!!  
It's not the swimming that concerns me, it is the currents and creatures (like sting rays and jellyfish) and I don't know if you can get an infection from the water.
thank you very much!  i will definitely use the sunscreen and drink plenty of water.  i won't swim in the ocean pregnant because of the dangers, but will definitely swim in the pool.  i am thinking about doing water aerobics this summer.
i tried to be a pregnant beach bum w/ my 1st pregnancy.  i thought i could do it w/ no problem b/c i lived at the beach my whole life and was always out in the sun...  but it didn't quite work w/ me!  i got heat exhaustion even sitting under an umbrella!  i tried going fishing w/ dh... and i made it through about up to my 7th month being out at his football games...  and i just couldn't take the heat!!!  hopefully it will work better for you.  have fun!!!!!!!!!!!
oh no, i hope that doesn't happen to me!  i just love being at the beach/pool!!  i will give it a try in small dosages and hopefully i'll be okay.  who knows though...this is my first pregnancy and i am quickly learning that my body has been totally taken over by baby.  my body is reacting differently than before to different things, so we will see...
hansen20 commented on photo
KTowne commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy