can i get pregnant on metformin? (i have pcos)
I was told recently that i have pcos, I have not had a period for 2 years and right now i am on provera 10mg a day for 10 days i will take day 7 in a few hours, i also have to start metformin today that are 500 mg 2 times a day... I want to get pregnant and need someone to talk to about all this! My dr. wont really even tell me what the meds can help me with
Hi I also have psco 2 ... I was put on metformin also.. It helps keep psco under control it helps with your periods...  U may need clomid with the metformin... U r on the right track ... good luck

Metformin will help you, it regulates your hormone levels which in time regulates your period and helps you ovulate (just from hormone regulation does not induce ovulation).  In fact it says in the paperwork (your doctor/pharmacy might have gave you) that if you don't want to be pregnant you should use protection while taking metformin.  And Higgins is right most doctors use clomid with metformin however clomid is not a good drug for women with PCOS, it causes cysts (and increases your chances for breast cancer) and current research shows that metformin alone is more effective at getting you to ovulate than the combo of drugs.  I also have PCOS, we tried for 3.5 years so needless to say I've done a lot of research.  You will get pregnant it just might take a little longer (not 3 years I had over 100 cysts).   The biggest thing I can recommend is to have a reproductive endocrinologist manage your case, your OB may say that they can appropriately manage you but they are NOT specialists in endocrinology or fertility!  I wasted two years with my OB before I learned that, good luck hun it will happen.  We are currently awaiting our little angel :)
I was diagnosed wit pcos im 22 nd I believe ive had it since I was 12 from then ive gotten only 7times! me n my hubby havent ben tryin but also havent been using protection for over 2yrs now, im afraid I wnt ever hav a baby. I heard abput metformin that its very affective how long do u take b4 af comes?
I didnt get to read all the other posts but I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and have PCOS!
When DH and I decided to try to get pregnant I began taking Clomid but wasnt producing any good follicles, then after a couple months of just Clomid I was put on Clomid and Metformin and was given a trigger shot to help me ovulate the good egg with in a certin amount of time. The first treatment didnt work but the second did! Metform is wonderful (besides the side effects) but I am due to have my second little boy May 26!!!! I hope you have a great expierance with it as I did!