Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
castor oil at 37 weeks?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

castor oil at 37 weeks?

I'm 37 weeks today and my mil bought a bottle of castor oil today and I'm just wondering if it would be ok to drink 2 table spoons tonight I'm so ready to go into labor its unreal. What do u think and has anyone else tried it and if so how did it work for you.
You should read up about the risks of having your baby at 37 weeks. A lot is still going on with your babys development right now. I know youre considered full term but that doesnt mean its time for baby to come out
It gives you really bad diarrhoea. And there have been cases where it has caused stress and problems to the babies. Seek medical advise before you take any.
I did it at 37 weeks with my second child. I went inti labor.
Honestly, I wouldn't use it personally. I know a lot of ladies say they used it, they recommend it, etc. and that it worked for them. The thing is, Castor Oil indirectly "causes" labor because it stimulates the bowels, causing intense and even long lasting diarrhea and the loose stools can cause contractions or increase them. Reason being is the intestines are up against the uterus at this time, and the constant loose bowels against the uterus stimulates constricting of the uterus. Do your research before you make a decision to use it. Also NEVER use anything before talking to your doctor as they should be aware of all the decisions that you do especially when it involves ingesting something.

Castor Oil can also cause fetal distress as I've read up on it, they state that it can cause baby to pass meconium (their first stool) in the womb, which is usually a sign of fetal distress, and could mean health complications for during labor.

I know first hand what Castor Oil is like to use, my mom always tells me never to use it because she listened to her mother in law while pregnant with my younger brother, and she used it. She said it is the most disgusting tasting thing she'd ever tried. The taste of it takes a while to go away, and she said it made her severely ill. You don't really want to begin labor by not being able to get off or away from the toilet do you? If you were worried about pooping on the delivery table, I'm sure it could be even more of a possibility after using Castor Oil since you can't stop going. lol

Just be sure to talk things through with your doctor. You may be 37 weeks, but in actuality they say there is a 2 week ratio and it's possible that you're only 35 weeks right now, or maybe you're 39 weeks. Either way, it's not the greatest odds, and just because you just now reached "full term" does not mean your baby is ready to be born.
I took it but at 40+3 it made me really dehydrated n gave me complications because of that n ur only 37 weeks I wouldn't if I was u at least wait till due date
Not trying to give you hell, I just would recommend knowing all there is to know about something before doing it to know that it's safe for you and baby, you've made it this far along, I know you are probably tired of how long it's taken to get to this point but make sure that you get enough info on the subject. My mom to this day wishes she never listened to her mother in law and taken it. lol It's awful sickening stuff! Good luck hun! I'm sure you're getting close to delivery soon!
I didn't get diarrhea but I was dehydrated. .. no complications but not everyone is the same.. just be patient ur baby will come out soon. I'm not doing it ahain with this baby. I also walked for two hours straight with my first born and I went into labor at 37 weeks sooo maybe try that.
It isn't recommended it can causes your baby to let it's stool out to soon and cause infection in you and the baby. I wish the older folks would lay off the castor oil. I would recommend sex,walking, dancing, relaxing in a nice warm bath, and most of all patience. Your little love still needs time to grow as many brain cells as possible.
retta483 Having a scan on 5/31 for n... Comment
1 min ago
desderius commented on photo
6 mins ago
veronica0808 commented on photo
28 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy