Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
ceviche during pregnancy?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

ceviche during pregnancy?

Is it safe to eat tilapia in ceviche while pregnant? its only cooked with the lime but is technically cooked so im not sure if its alright.
If it's cooked and you don't eat it often or in large amounts you should be okay, but make sure it's cooked
Yeah we cook it in the lime for at least 3-4 hours
It is said to stay away from raw fish and even though the acid in the lime juice 'cooks' the fish it is not cooked over heat which is how the bacteria is eliminated.

The decision on how strict you are with diet rules is up to you some ladies follow them to the letter others ignore them, others pick and choose.

If you are going to ignore them or pick and choose I would do some research into the levels of bacteria in particular foods before you eat them.  e.g. blue cheese as it has active mold has a high level of bacteria, where as cold meats which have been freshly cut and kept refrigerated wouldn't have as much.

Also if you do want to eat ceviche be sure of the sources and freshness of the fish.  The fresher the fish and the more recently it has been prepared the safer it is.  

At the end of the day it is your decision!!!
Good question I'm also curious to see what others say about this I love ceviche too! My doc said once a week of tilapia is fine. Idk about ceviche
Cooking in pregnancy mean over heat not cooking with acid, they are to different methods and do not eliminate bacteria in the same way
Yeah im pretty strick with my diet usually. I am just craving its right now. ive heard you have to be careful with it but i know a few people that ate it all the way through their pregnancies and havent had a problem. i wouldnt want to risk it if it could harm the baby tho
I'm not saying not to do it.  There is plenty of women who have eaten things that we 'shouldn't' eat when we are pregnant and their babies are fine. My first pregnancy i was very strict and ended up m/c so this one, I pick and choose but researched first into the levels of bacteria.  You will get a lot of different opinions here but remember the most important opinion is yours.  Just be educated about it when you form it.  

I've another 2 weeks to go until bubs is born so I cant say whether it has had an effect but all my scans, tests and measurements have been fine so far, so I am quietly confident.
AnnieBrooke commented on need a title -
TTC2006 commented on LONG, but I need inpu...
Sheaby commented on LONG, but I need inpu...
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy