Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
checking your own cervix?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

checking your own cervix?

has anyone had experience checking their own cervix? i checked mine and i knew what it was i was feeling, it was the width of my fingertip but i was too scared to try to see if i can fit a finger inside it..i heard that means its 1 cm. shouldn't the opening have felt smaller if im 24 weeks?
Tags: checking, cervix, 1 cm
if im pregnant  i am only a few days and sumone askd me if i was checkd my cervix but idk why or how id do that
im not sure how to check it and be able to tell if your pregnant. i could just feel that mine was slightly open.
you should avoid checking your cervix once pregnancy is established, because of the risk of introducing infection. You can check it closer to your due date once or twice if you feel you have to, but it's best to avoid altogether, even if you use sterile gloves. you don't want to irritate or infect it! you can call your OB if you have a concern and feel it may be open too early, but 1cm in the 2nd/3rd trimester wouldn't be too open :).
I agree during pregnancy do not check your cervix.during pregnancy our cervix always feel open,when in fact they are not.
well i did in fact call after hours last night..and they paged the doctor on call..she wanted me to go to l&d so i went in there and they didn't say it was a problem to check your own cervix but she said mine was in fact open..what they call qtip dilation which means that she can't quite get a whole finger in which is exactly what i thought. she said it might carry a small risk of premature delivery but unless my contractions get worse i should be okay..im very glad i decided to go in! i wont be doing anymore cervix checks...but not because of infection..i washed my hands really well with antibacterial soap before i checked...it just causes too much worry.
KTowne commented on Des_a_rae's status
21 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on photo
KeeLolo commented on krichar's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy