cord blood banking
Any one doing it? Has anyone done it?

I would like more information from people who know. It is pretty expensive and I was just hoping someone could share? Thanks!
I am not doing it - as it too expensive, but I would love too.  I looked into it and found one that was $168/month if you paid for one year up front and that was one of the cheaper ones (ViaCord, I think).  I can't afford that!  I know it can do so many wonders and save lives and cure diseases, I would love too, but it is not an option right now.  

I have a friend who is wealthier than I am and has 3 kids - she banked her youngest's cord blood, b/c the technology/info wasn't there with the other 2.  The doctor said that chances are if any of them need cord blood for any reason, his would probably work for all 3 children.  I wish I had the money to do it, but can't afford it on a teacher's salary and of course DH, but he works construction, so he makes decent money, but not dependable.  
Thanks for the input. I can't afford it either.. BUT my Father is always buying savings bonds when Grandchildren are born, so I was thinking of telling him (and spreading to other family members as well) that this is something I would be interested in, but can't afford.. And maybe they would chip in or something??..

Too bad you can't register for it.. =)
I was totally struggling with this decision.  It is so expensive, but god forbid my child actually needed it and I didn't do it because of money...I couldn't forgive myself.  What made the decision even harder was that my doctor told me that he recommended it.  I felt like if I didn't choose to bank the blood I would regret it.  My husband and I just made the decison to bank the blood this week.  I am 35 weeks.  There are payment plans that help a little.
I am feeling  the same way.. Almost guilty if I can't somehow budget this..

My ex and I are trying to figure out ways to make it happen, but it is soo expensive!
I never did it, It wasn't around for my oldest son, but it was for my youngest. I just can't afford it period. Im not banking Conners cord blood either. I spoke with my doctor about it, as he asked, and he said the chances of actually needing it is slim to none. He thinks that healthy parents, and healthy babies have a good chance of being healthy, and he doesn't see the need for it. He explained that his opinion wold be different if mom had sickle cell anemia or another disease that had a good possability to pass on to the child. Even as a doctor, he never banked his childrens cord blood.

He said why pay upteen dollars a month for several years, for your baby to grow up and never need it, when that money can be put towards a savings account or college fund, something a child has more of a chance using.
Not only that, I forgot to add. He said there are so many people banking blood that don't use it, and if your child was to get ill, you are sometimes offered to use a match from someone elses cord blood. It only lasts for so long, and banks don't want it going to waste, so as the blod gets older and unused they pester you about giving it to another person/child. It is one thing in my mind to be an organ doner, but to give away thousands of my dollars to someone isn't going to happen, as you do not get your money back.
Thanks for your input as well... : )

It's one of those things.. Uggh..

I will continue to ponder and if someone wants to gift it, that would be great, but otherwise I just can't afford it! =(   I hate that I feel soo guilty about it though.. Like I am a bad Mom b/c I can't provide..

I didnt realize they had cord blood donating possibilities (for matches). That is a useful piece of information.. =) Thanks!
I'm doing it.  I'm using Cbr......It's going to cost about $1400 which to me is well worth it.  If you call Cbr they will totally wheel and deal with you to try to get the price down or make out a payment plan with you.  If your credit is good, you can pay over a 1 year time period and it's not too much...I can't remember exactly...I'm just paying for it at once.....I started my Cbr fund as soon as we found out I was pregnant...so that's how we're doing it.  If you want any more info. or a contact person, feel free to PM me.  
Im doing it, here we pay an annual cost.  This is something you would never ever want to need, but in case you do, It would make miracles.
I wanted to add that there is the donation option.  I can't afford the high cost of private banking,  but we are donating the cord blood for those who need it.  
OMG!

I wanted to save my lil one's blood but now that I know how expensive it's gunna be-
I can't afford that!

Y'know... they're making it almost IMPOSSIBLE to live simply.
Everything's about stupid money these days.
God forbid people's health and concerns come first...

No wait, they do come first-
IF YOU GOT DEEP POCKETS.

Ugh!
For those of you who are thinking about this and are fairly early on in your pregnancy.......I started saving $$ for it as soon as I found out I was pregnant.....$50/paycheck and then stupid money...like from bottle returns, rebates on various things, etc.  If you plan early on, it's definately do-able....also you can choose to pay over a one year period if your credit is decent and are approved.  There is an APR, but if I remember correctly, it's not too high.
I know that there is alot of cost for the "banking" agencies to store cord blood, but are they taking advantage of families based on guilt?  If there is a donation process that is available to any child, maybe that's the way to go.

What a huge decision for any new parent to make.  

I didn't know the cost was so high...WOW.
I so wanted to do this..... but really cant afford it.... right now i really cant even afford an extra $50.00 out of my paycheck! I would do it if i could afford it Definately but right now i just cant!
I am still trying to come up with a way to afford it!!

I can't afford $50.00 out of my check either.. Not even close, and I have made HUGE errors in my spending all my adult life so my credit is horrible.. It is really frustrating!
LauraB, you and i are in the same boat! I have awful credit too due to dumb mistakes made when i was young! and definatelty cant rely on that to get me anything! I think your idea is great though about mentioning it to family members, that would be great everyone could pitch in!

Oh LOL i was reading another post to where you said you worked in Workmans comp insurance! So do i!! LOL but in Arizona
I'm doing it.  We're going with CBR.  It's going to be $1100 at birth, then $125 per year.  
Its pathestic the price you have to pay to save your child from dying. But thats how cruel the healthcare system is. I didnt have insurance and alsmot died because they didnt want to test that much when my tube bursted. They told me i was fine and sent me home, 5 days later i went into shock. Ah well, i probably wont do it, no one in our family has a disease but i guess you never know. We cant afford it.