crib advice for someone with bad back?
This is a little off-topic but I thought all the moms here might have some good advice. I am expecting my 1st in Sept and just went looking at cribs for the first time. It seems like fixed-side cribs are the only option now that drop-side cribs have been banned. I have a bad back and am really worried about how I will be able to get my child in and out of a fixed-side crib, especially once they are 1-2 yrs old, heavy, and the mattress will need to be adjusted to the lowest setting. Maybe once they are older they could stand up so you don't have to bend so far to lift them out, but it seems like there is no way to lower a sleeping baby several feet over the crib rail and lay them down without putting serious strain on your back. How do people with back problems deal with this? Has anyone found any tricks, or are there other types of crib styles that I just haven't seen yet? Thanks so much for sharing your advice.  
I dont' know if they still sell them but I once  had a crib that wasn't really a drop side but the top foot or so of the side was hinged and flipped out and down-does that make sense?  Perhaps you can search online for something like that??
Once they are 6 months +, they will be sitting up, later standing, biting the edge and waiting for you to pick you up! So you sholuld not have a problem.
I have terrible back problems. When the baby is small you just raise the mattress to the top setting so you don't really bed over to lay them down. Once the baby is big enough to need the lowest setting you can put them in the crib by setting them on their butt. Then I help my daughter lay down so that way I'm not bending all the way over while supporting her weight.
My crib is like LosingMyMindInGA describes. The top 6 or 8 inches folds down and it is hinged.

Google "drop gate crib" and you can see many images.

I happen to be petite (5'1") and found that putting a step stool next to the crib helps me too.

I don't have back problems, but am having brain surgery next week. I will not be able to lift or bend for a while. I think I'm just going to have to s.uck it up and convert the bed to a toddler bed a bit sooner than we had wanted. That is an option when the baby gets too heavy. Some people put their little ones into toddler beds as early as 12 months. My first was in a twin bed with guard rails by 18 months.