do I have too?
Do I have to  take the gestational diabetes test or can I pass on it
What's your reason for not wanting to?
My doctor said you have to take it.
You can pass-- but you really should.  M husband had several patients who got diabetes during pregnancy even though they looked like they were in prefect health and had no family history of it.
What will they do to test me
They will have you drink something sugary and after about an hour they'll take a blood sample. If the reading is high (my husband says it happens a lot, almost 1 in 4 women) then they will often test again in a couple of hours to see how your body uses the sugar.
To be honest i dont think I need to I work in the medical field I know what to look for and have no signs of diabetes
I would recommend you take it
Yes you have to fast and it taste bad but diabetes can show up just like that . There is no real signs or symptoms. It won't kill you.
Thank you ladies for your opinions I appreciate it
Im not sure of its different in other countriea but here in the UK its not offered to everyone but you go have to fast from the evening before then the next morning you have blood taken, drink a sugary drink then 2 hours later you have more blood taken :) better be safe than sorry!
If you dont think you need it, you dont have to. You can even opt out of prenatal care & ultrasounds blood tests blah blah blah its just highly recommended.
I didn't have signs of diabetes either but I took the test and it turns out I am a gestational diabetic. It's really better if you do take the test. I'm not sure why some women opt out of tests like that. If it goes untreated it can affect your baby.
Gestational diabetes can lead to macrosomia, or a "fat" baby. Babies with macrosomia face health problems of their own, including damage to their shoulders during birth. Because of the extra insulin made by the baby's pancreas, newborns may have very low blood glucose levels at birth and are also at higher risk for breathing problems. Babies with excess insulin become children who are at risk for obesity and adults who are at risk for type 2 diabetes - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/gestational/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html#sthash.sKPG1Yqo.dpuf
Gestational diabetes doesn't always look or act like diabetes mellitus - it's a different disease. It may not affect the mother too terribly much but it can be extremely dangerous to the baby if not controlled.
You say you work in the medical field - but you don't understand why it's important or how the testing is done or whether refusal is an option? Go ahead and get the test done. It's one quick drink and one quick blood draw and it can mean the difference between your baby being safe and healthy or your baby needing to stay in the nicu and possibly having lifelong medical complications.
It's mandatory in Canada.   I don't know what happen if you refuse to take the test.
I skipped it. But I have a midwife not a doctor so its probably different.  I know a lot of doctors dont give you a choice.
The test isn't really a big deal. I was sick with the stomach flu the day I took mine. The drink is just like a flat, more sugary soda. Are you just afraid of what the outcome might be? Being nervous is perfectly normal.
Thanks ladies i have made the decision to do the test thanks for all the help