how long should you wait to have your first ultrasound?
I have heard many stories of women who miscarry because of all the prodding they do at a 1st time doc appointment/ultrasound. Is this true? It makes me want to wait till i past the first trimester to go in.
Ive never heard of an ultrasound causing a miscarriage. Many times a women will say it caused her to miscarry, but they often already went in bleeding, spotting, cramping or was doomed to have a miscarriage no matter what. The choice is yours alone to make. Many many many people have early ultrasounds with no problems. The ultrasound is used for dating purposes, to make sure the child is growing and there is no underlying issues. I personally had an ultrasound done at 7 weeks (and a pap not too long after) and am 33 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
My first m/c was at 11 weeks and I had yet to have my physical or u/s so that wasent the reason I m/c. The second was at 5 weeks before I even went into the doctors. I dont think they would give physicals and u/s if it lead to m/c. Trust your doctor, they know what they are doing. Good luck to you!!
In Ma, where i live they do ultrasound at 12 wks, no earlier, bc when you go in for 6 wks, sometimes a women will have two sacs and be told its twins, but when you go in for 12 wks, you only have one baby with a heartbeat, many women get depressed thats why its good to go to ultrasound when you can actually see legs/arms/heartbeat................. and so on...
Ultrasounds and pap smears dont cause miscarriages. Most common reason for miscarriage is chromosomal issues. Ive had repeat ultrasounds early on in both my pregnancies and never had an issue and I was high risk. Its best to get your first one at about 8 weeks so that you can see baby and a heart beat. A lot of women will get them earlier and panic that there is only a sac.
I have had 3 ultrasounds so far, but the first 2 were to keep tabs on a very large ovarian cyst. I go in for my 1st "baby" ultrasound on Thursday, I will be around 20 weeks when I get it done.

Ultrasounds and vaginal exams do not cause miscarriage.
Ive had one, in England they dont normally do them untill you are 12 weeks from your LMP, Unless there is something wrong like bleeding. Because this is what I was told, if one person was to have an Ultra sound before they were meant to, then EVERYONE will want one... Nothing can cause you to Miscarry, except your body knowing there is something wrong with the bubby and it pushes it out naturally, You can never cause yourself to miscarry. Well its rare if you do... which is why they advise you not to drink heavily, and not to take tablets other than paracetamol in early preg and late pregnancy. But taking things like co Codamol in late pregnancy has more of a risk than takking ity pregnancy (So I was told by my GP)...

But just wait, its all good :)

x