Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
how to induce labour

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

how to induce labour

anyone know of ways to induce labour that actually work. im 37w 4d and i know he will come when he is ready but i would like to try give him a helping hand
Nothing is really going to help until your body is ready. The best things to do are to walk a lot and have sex. The prostaglandin in sperm, and the orgasm you have during sex, both help to ripen and ready the cervix and uterus and can sometimes start contractions.

Please do not try castor oil - this usually just causes diarrhea, dehydration, and can cause the baby to have a bowel movement in utero which can cause a whole host of breathing issues after birth.

SO I would say just...walk walk walk, have sex, you could also try nipple stimulation or look into accupressure to induce labor, but with me it would start VERY painful contractions that never went anywhere.

Truthfully though...you're not even 38wks. I'd just try to be patient! But walking is ALWAYS good during pregnancy and unless you're at risk for something it can't hurt, and it can help position baby and spread your pelvis so that labor is a little easier when it DOES decide to start....so walk away!
When I was pregnant with my son he was almost 2 weeks late and I remember asking this same question and I remember trying every wisetale and suggestion offered and I'm sad to report that none of it worked for me, lol.  I tried Mexican spicy food, eggplant, caster oil, walking 4-5 miles a days, nipple stimulation, sex...you name it and I tired it.  The only thing that worked was the drugs used in the hospital for induction.  I'm 33 weeks with number 3 and I'm ready when I hit 37 weeks, but the sad thing is my babies come on their time only.  Lol, I wish you luck though...if you do find something that works post it.  (and of everything I mentioned my trying- don't do the caster oil...something will comeout but it won't be baby!!  I regreated that one the most!)
ok thanks ladies. i tried walking but it causes me to have really bad cramps on the insides of my thighs. im not sure if its safe to have sex. everytime i do i bleed. doctors said its from hormone change on the cervix but not entirely sure what that means.
at this stage its best to do plenty of walking but not enough to tire yourself out, walking helps to position the baby better for birth and the only thing that helped my labour along was sex tmi but its true the sperm sofens the cervix and orgasm contracts the uterus witch may get the real contractions going.. id enjoy your last few weeks of peace and quiet though i never lisend to people when they told me to but wish i did lol. good luck
I would stear clear of anything that made you uncomfortable.  I had a leep done a year ago so I've been instructed to take it easy.  I also tend to worry and have high anxiety...I've spotted in this pregnancy a bit with sex and when that happens to me, I just chill on it to be sure.  I'm sure your doctor wouldn't ok anything that could hurt you or baby, but do what your most comfortable with.  Your so close to the end, even though I hate when people say that cause it feels like eternity to me, but it's true!  Maybe treat yourself to something nice to get your mind off of it!  (that's an excuse I'm always happy to use! Lol)
Nothing is going to work unless your body is ready> My water broke at 41 weeks because my 50lb pitbull made me upset because she wouldn't go into the room to lay down. I picked her up and when I put her down my water broke. And I walked ALOT. I was also already dialated to 3cm.
These really work I done it with my two pregnancy eat fresh pineapple or buy some castor oil its like a lasative but it sent me into labor you put two or three table spoons into a drink
I don't recommend the use of castor oil. It has the potential to be very harmful to mom and baby. I've known women on here who used it and spent the day vomiting and have diarrhea until they were borderlining on being dehydrated, and still didn't go into labor.

The main concern with castor oil is that it can cause the baby to have a bowel movement as well, which is VERY dangerous. I wouldn't risk it.
All sex does is irritate the walls inside( thts what my doc told me) & to just keep towels handy bc sex is good for working those muscles down there
NOTHING! Sorry but after 3 kids nothing induces labor except it doing it by itself. With my last one I was 4 cm dialated and 80% effaced for almost 3 weeks and I still had to be induced. Good luck though
I was same position as u are when I was my first pregnancy I want to induced my day so I went swimming next thing I was in the hospital coz I got very bad contractions & they induced me coz my bp was getting high so I delivered the baby...may be just coincidence but I was glad I went swimming hehe:)
Good luck & congrats ur almost there!:)
hansen20 commented on Belle313's status
Hollus commented on veronica0808's status
Hollus commented on renae176's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy