Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
iron pills causing constipation

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

iron pills causing constipation

Ever since i was told to take 2 iron pills along with my prenatals im becoming constipated. My ob said to take stool softners but does anyone know of any that are effective and doesnt cause severe diarrhea?  After i had my son in 2010 i was given some at the hospital and omg that was worse than being constipated ( sorry if its tmi) i just need something to get me back on track. Any suggestions?
I've never had this problem personally, but I know my son took iron pills and they constipated him awfulll! He was a crying mess every time he had to go to the bathroom poor little guy, I also used stool softeners on him, it didn't make him go more frequently or have diarrhea, it just made it easier for him to go, it has worked awesome for him, I'd say give it a try!
Do you know the name? Theres so many different kinds
you need to up your intake of water and also add abit more fibre to your diet then you shouldnt have any problems, your bowel gets sluggish due to the preg hormones so need thats extra water :)
He takes Dulcolax, which his ped. recommended and he hasn't cried going to the bathroom since, pregnancy has enough quirks without having to worry about that, haha!
My doctor recommends colace. It's a stool softener, so it shouldn't make you go just make it easier for you to go. I've never taken it. Every time I get constipated I eat about 7-14 prunes and I no longer have a problem going lol.
Lol yeah ive eaten the prumes b4 but im taking a lot of iron so my normal natural remedies arent gonna work for a day to day basis.
I took Colace as well with my last pregnancy... it helped a lot! all i did was drink water so the increasing fluids was impossible and increased fiber was out as well as i couldnt eat, let alone healthy... so colace was a life saver! lol
I took an iron supplement until just recently (made me extremely nauseous) my doctor prescribed colace for constipation. Worked great!
I am anemic so I take iron daily (even before I got prego). Collace has been a life saver. I drink tons of water & eat fruit, fiber bars (anything fiber one, lol). It just makes it easier to go.
Collace seems to have helped a few ppl. Thanks grls that really helps! The last thing i need is to not be able to go to the bathroom. My tummy is crowded enough!
Absolutely right, Stacey. The fix is as simple as taking adequate water, especially with meals, so the food mass goes down wet and soft. No other stuff is needed. You might also add a mineral supplement with magnesium and potassium to nourish your intestinal muscles, but water is the key.

SP

SP
KTowne, and KeeLolo commented on KTowne's status
Dee1956 commented on photo
miss_may95 added the Weight Tracker
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy