is anyone saving their babies cord blood?
My husband and I are looking into saving our babies cord blood, there are so many companies out there I really dont know which one to go with. I was wondering if anyone has done this or is planning to and which company you used. We are in Canada so I dont know if the companies wouldbe the same in the states.
I would love to but it is just too expensive.
If your husband has a RARE blood type, I would do it. But if your baby has a pretty common blood type you don't need to. Or you can donate, for free, the blood. In the event your child ever needed cord blood stem cells, they don't have to have their own from birth. There is plenty of donated blood.

I wanted to donate by the hospital I went to wasn't doing it at the time. I hope they change the policy.

The reason for knowing your husband's blood type is because your children will always have their Daddy's blood type.
I don't have my dads blood type. He's a B and I'm an A.
I was also thinking about this also and have lots of information from Healthcord and still not sure what we're going to do.  It's a hard decision. If you decide not to save stem cells from the cord right now, they also now have found that there are stem cells within the roots of the teeth. So there is also a chance in the future when the child loses their teeth that it can be stored in a special way as well. I know they definitely do this in the states for like $600 bucks, not sure about in Canada. Just thought I'd let you know there are other options in case you don't bank it this time.  Take care :)
joyrene- i am O- and my dad is O+. My husbands father is A+ and his sister is O-.

megz- i never heard about the teeth thing that is pretty cool! My husband has done some research and he is pretty intererested in banking the cord blood. I have received packages from 3 different companies.  We are just trying to pick one and its pretty hard.
Oh my gosh! I've always been told that the child inherits their father's blood type. Oops. Don't listen to me... *wiggly eyebrows*

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/newborn/babys_blood_type.html
I didn't inherit my dad's blood, he is O- I think , I don't even know my blood type but I know it isn't O-.
I should probably find out my blood type....
lol joy renee yea my dad is O- and i am O+ and my brother is B (dont' remember if +or-)
I was thinking about doing it as well.  More for the fact that my DH has Crohn's disease, and who knows if he will ever need it, or any of our children.  You never know what they are going to find as ways to heal diseases in the future.
I did it.
The company I used is New England coord banking ( wich storages the cood blood cells in Boston).  I contacted them, then they gave me all the information, signed a contract, and then gave me the kit.  After my c-section they picked up everything that was collected (at the hospital and sent it to the USA).  It cost me US$ 1,400.00 and their annual fee is 110 dollars.
We just got the confirmation from them of the total amount of viable cells an a contract number in case we need to use them.
i'm in canada too. i would love to do this but it seems so hard to coordinate but if johannaviles can do it from the dominican republic, we should be able to do it here. any info i found was for places in new england or toronto and for me in nova scotia it just seemed hard to make sure it was done and on a plane in less then 24 hours
evthin4reason- i know that is my concern too, i was thinking of designating someone other than myself or my husband to get the blood to the airport or wherever it may need to go .someone like my mom who i can trust!