lab result question
Hi, so I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant and had blood work done at 9 weeks and just received the results.  I noticed that the neutrophils (absolute) was high at 8.3 and the reference range is 1.8-7.8  My WBC was also high at 11.5 and the reference range is 4.0-10.5 . I know this usually means an infection of some sort is brewing but I'm concerned because the last few weeks I have had very bad morning sickness and have been vomiting every day where I would feel very weak. I am also having very bad constipation and when i finally went, it was so bad that there was some blood from pushing and straining so much. Could any of this be a reason for an infection? Im just nervous because my next appointment is not for another week and a half and want to know if I should be worried until then. Thanks for any help out there.
Welcome to the forum.

First, there are many reasons a white count could be elevated and you need to see a doctor who can examine you and decide what is causing your while cells to be elevated.

Second, if you are vomiting every day and feel very weak, then you need to go to the emergency room or to an urgent care center if one is open. Vomiting every day makes a person very dehydrated and it can also alter your electrolytes, something which can be dangerous.

Third, when you see the doctor about your white cells and vomiting, please also tell him/her about your constipation.

Your elevated white cells, vomiting, and constipation could be from many problems. However, they won't cause an infection. It is the other way around. Something is wrong, and it could be many things, and that is why you are having the elevated white cells, vomiting, and constipation.

Keep in mind that many women have nausea and vomiting while pregnant. Many women also get constipated when pregnant. However, that does not mean you should do nothing. Vomiting every day is a serious problem and feeling week may mean you are dehydrated or that your electrolytes are off, or it could mean any other of a number of problems which only a doctor can diagnose. Please do not delay. Go to an urgent care center or emergency room and get yourself examined and evaluated.

Best of luck.