Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
low cost health insurance

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

low cost health insurance

I am 13 wks pregnant and i havent been to the doctor because i dont have a job or health insurance is there some kind of low cost insurance other than medicaid
Is there any reason you don't want medicaid? Just wondering about that...

I am self-employed and insurance is always a thorn in my side. I make too much for medicaid and too little for traditional maternity insurance. I found it cheaper to carry a insurance policy on myself and pay my maternity fees out of pocket. Ironically, I save money doing it this way. Most doctors and midwives will give you the option of a payment plan if you don't qualify for medicaid.
Im on Medicaid... I suggest that.
yeah what's wrong with medicaid? It will cover just about anything in your pregnancy. Besides, pregnant women cannot be denied medicaid. I found this out after applying for medicaid for my 3 month old son.  They denied me cuz of my income. The worker told me I should have applied when I was pregnant as I would have been approved, regardless of my income, and the baby would have been automatically covered after birth. The worker said it was due to an Obama health care thing. At least he's done something right!

Lisa
You can apply for FAMIS, check it out.  Good luck.
FAMIS is only for Virgina. So if this person doesn't live there they don't qualify.
Oh...oops.  Checks online to see what your state offers.
I was told about the Medicaid being guaranteed during my last pg in 2006... so unfortunately, Obama can't take the credit for this one :o( lol  But yes, they did tell me that baby and child cannot be denied during pregnancy and coverage continues afterwards (my newborn qualified for it after her oh-so-caring-father, my ex hb, took us both off his insurance plan right after birth.  I, however, did not qualify due to savings $.  But it was a Godsend for us then).  I know you said other than Medicaid, but that's all I know of unless like they said your state has another plan.
Many states have insurance programs for pregnant women. IL has AllKids. Anywhere in the US you can go to Planned Parenthood and the fee is income based. It is very important that you do see a dr while you are pregnant. Try calling your local health department and ask about options.
I am on medicaid.  It is wonderful & covers everything!  

I feel entitled.  I work 5 days a week.  My husband works his butt off!  If we had to pay out of pocket it would be REALLY hard.    There is nothing wrong with medicaid.  You are usually only on it when you are pregnant.  You have paid taxes right?   well, you may as well help yourself out at sometime too.
ps.  please don't not get treatment because you are too proud for medicaid.  You need to be seen by a doctor to make sure you & baby stay healthy.  Sometimes we have to do thing we don't want to do...  This is important.  good luck
Dang! I need to go back to the medicaid office! I was misinformed.
I just researched what you guys are saying about ALL pregnant women being covered. It looks like I can get reimbursed for money I have already spent. You guys just saved me some money. At least I hope. Thanks!
yes.  You Can get reimbursed for what you spent, as long as you can proove that you could have been covered my medicaid at the time the expenses occured.
I was always told you had to below the poverty level to get medicaid. Which is like $14,500 for a family of two! It's good to know pregnant women and newborns are guaranteed coverage.
yes.  In my state, if you are above the guidelines, you children can still be covered, you just have to pay a premium.  The premiums are MUCH lower than regular insurance, and there are NO co-pays.
Nothing wrong with Medicaid --- from a medical standpoint, you will have access to all the safe and proven procedures that you would otherwise, plus your child will automatically be covered until you find insurance.  

There are some other ways to get covered and things to think about.... here is a good article on the subject: http://www.healthharbor.com/health-insurance-101/when-you-are-expecting.  I would recommend checking out your state laws -- some states allow maternity-only health insurance to be sold, other states require that any policy written has maternity insurance included, and still others have no rules on the topic.
I am on medicaid & it has helped me in so many ways. My boyfriend works & makes decent money but when we found out tht when I was 29 weeks pregnant our little girl may have had an irregular heart beat & it was super low & some heart defect. & we had to get tons of testing done tht would have costed a fortune which we did not have. So think about the unexpected in tht situation! Luckily she was just having a bad day & she grew out of it! Thank god!! (: hope you the best of luck!
hansen20 commented on photo
21 mins ago
dianaexoh uploaded a new photo
28 mins ago
specialmom commented on realjimmy's status
32 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy