Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
medications in third trimester

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

medications in third trimester

Hi! I am 36 weeks pregnant, and have been prescribed hydrocodone for severe back problems by my ob-gyn since about three months pregnant. Originally my dose was up to 8 5/500 lortab a day(as needed), but the pain has gotten severe and now I am prescribed up to 6 10/500 lortab per day ( as needed)... I hate taking six a day so close to delivery, but my dr. says that he doesn't think withdrawal for my son should be that much of a problem with the amount I'm prescribed... I have read and heard several things that are contrary to that statement, and would just like a second opinion please? I am trying to wean m,yself down slowly, but have already been told I will probably only make it to 38 weeks at the most, so I am running out of time. I love my son more than anything in this world already, and I don't want him to have to be sick after birth because my Dr. tols me something that coulsd potentially not be true. ALSO, admittedly, I have taken a couple soma here and there with the lortab(NOT PRESCRIBED) to try to reduce the amount of lortab I need to take for the pain... I can't find a lot of research on soma during pregnancy, and at the most it's maybe three a day- and only in this last trimester have I resorted to that. Can you please let me know if you think there will be any adverse affects on my son because of these medications? I just want him to be as healthy as possible, and couldn't stand knowing something I did had put him in any kind of discomfort or caused any developmental problems...
Tags: Pregnancy
Any time you take any form of of narcotic pain relief, no matter how small, you do run the risk of the baby having withdrawal symptoms at birth.  Your doctor very well may be correct that the chances are small, but they do still exist and no one can tell you with certainty whether your baby will or won't.  

Weaning off the pain meds at this point really needs to be discussed between you and yoru doctor, You need to determine whether the benefits outweight the risks.  If you go off the pain killers, will the effects on you be bad enough that they may cause you to go into labor even sooner?  While you are already 36 weeks, babys lungs may not be developed, so if s/he is born now and on top of that has withdrawal symtpoms it could be more detrimental to the baby.  On the flipside, if you stay on them and are able to keep baby in a few more weeks s/he may be more apt to handle the withdrawal symptoms.  However, I'm sure you are aware that hydrocodone is a Pregnancy Catagory C drug, studies have shown birth defects when it has been given to rats and there are some links to the same thing in humans.   There IS a chance that he may have some problems, OR he could be perfectly healthy. Unfortunately  you will not know for sure.  But you need to remind youself that you were prescribed this medication for a reason, obviously your doc felt the benefits outweighed the risks.  

As for the SOMA,  This is from the FDA website:
Pregnancy Category changed from C to D
Adequate animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Soma Compound.
Carisoprodol: There are no data on the use of carisoprodol during human pregnancy...
Teratogenic effects...
Nonteratogenic effects...
Aspirin
Teratogenic effects: Prior to 30 weeks

Soma does contain Aspirin which is normally to be avoided throughout pregnancy.

As I said no one can give you a yes or no as to whether your baby will have adverse side affects.  The only thing you can do is wait and see unfortunately. Good luck!!
hansen20 commented on photo
6 mins ago
dianaexoh uploaded a new photo
13 mins ago
specialmom commented on realjimmy's status
17 mins ago
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy