Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
mountain dew

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

mountain dew

I just found out today that I'm pregnant. About 5 weeks along. I have heard that drinking mountain dew is really bad for the baby. Is this true? I live on coffee and mountain dew at work so please help
My cousin drank it all the time just to get through the the day & her baby is just fine , had no complications at all.
You should really limit the amount of caffeine to about 1 drink a day or less if you're able. Caffeine makes babies have low birth weights. I know it will be tough but maybe try to reduce the amount you're drinking or find another drink altogether. Good luck.
Between the surprisingly high caffeine load in Mountain Dew and its high-fructose corn syrup (if you are drinking non-diet) or its chemicals (if you are drinking Diet) you should try to cut back to no more than one a day, and possibly even to thin that one with sparkling water.  There are other sodas out there that have a good flavor and don't contain caffeine, and some are made with natural sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup.  With those, the only problem is keeping the overall sugar load down, in your diet.  I went with cutting my sodas in half with sparkling water and having only one a day.
The max amount of caffiene reccomended in a day is 200mg... so try to stay under that... also remember that the pop has a lot of sugar also and no nutritional benefits... if you can limit to say 1 can a day or 1 coffee a day that would prob be safer... less is always best... drinking water has many benefits during pregnancy... try to decrease the pop adn coffee and increase the water :)

And yes too much can lead to lower birth weight and head circumference, low birth weight can make it difficult for baby to maintain heathy body temp, and appropriate blood sugars which can lead to other health problems...

I have read that among other things, caffeine is suspected to be linked to a higher risk of miscarriage, But, as with many medical studies, one says one thing, one is inconclusive and yet another, says something totally different. Everyone seems to err on the side of caution, saying to limit intake to less than 200 mg per day or to ideally cut it out all together. I know it's hard but I figure better safe than sorry when there is a developing little one.
Wowing about the same as you 5 weeks and 2 days!!!! Yay congratulations to us and all the other beautiful pregnant women.... When is your due date? Ok well my mid wife said it is ok to have caffeine once a day I'm addicted to Pepsi so I have to cut back on that my midwife told me one can a day is ok no more than that :-)
Sorry meant to say wow I'm*
Jus buy cafeene free mt dew. THats wat i do cus i hate diet pop, but it still tastes good without the risks!
gloryrose Sorry I've been gone. I've ... Comment
Shannon79 commented on photo
jugglin commented on photo
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy