Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
ocular migraines during pregnancy.

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

ocular migraines during pregnancy.

Ok so with my last pregnancy I started getting ocular migraines (was what they were diagnosed as) at about 6 months. At first I got one maybe once a month and then they started getting more frequent. At the end I was getting them like 2-3 per week. It was terrible. They typically last about 20-30 minutes and sometimes they follow with a headache and other times they are gone and there's just some pressure but no pain. (like i'm tense from trying to see). Anyway, I'm now 8 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and in the last week I've had 2 of these migraines show up. 2! I'm not very happy about this because they are a big pain in the butt, and I have to have my eyes to work. I watch all the heart monitors for our hospital (so I'm monitoring anywhere from 30-70 patients a day at work) I've noticed these migraines come on when my eyes feel stressed or tired from overuse. During the last pregnancy they didn't offer any meds for it. Is there anything people can take for these ocular migraines? I'm not real sure how to handle this. I don't want to have to go on disability because of these dumb things. Anyone else ever have this happen?
yeah, unfortunately I have experience with pretty massive ocular migraines during all 3 of my pregnancies. With my daughter, I had them a lot during the 1st trimester and a bit during the 2nd, but at about 20 weeks they began to taper off and I had almost none by the end. I had about 6 months break after she was born, then they came back. 6 months after that I got pregnant again, and I spent my entire pregnancy with my son getting worse and worse migraines (I've suffered from pretty debilitating migraines my whole life, but pregnancy migraines can be absolutely unbearable)....the migraines got better about 4 months after he was born, tapering off until about 10 months after he was born they were almost gone. 2 months later, however, they came back with a vengeance and I discovered shortly after that I was pregnant again. They've been coming and going with this pregnancy and I'm now almost 18 weeks and right now they're definitely in a "coming" phase where I'm getting them several times a week.

Ok, phew. history explained. With my daughter I was able to take tylenol #3 as needed and manage them until they disappeared. With my son, I was on tylenol #3 until it started making me vomit non-stop, then switched to vicodin as needed..near the end I was having to take percocet occasionally. With this pregnancy I've been able to manage them with tylenol and the occasional vicodin. Both of my babies were born healthy and without dependence issues, and I saw a neurologist and a Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist who were able to monitor me and make sure everything was going well. I was also given a beta-blocker, propranolol because I have a heart condition but it ALSO is used to lower the number of migraine attacks someone gets.

So there are options..many women use beta-blockers to lower the number of migraines, and they are often given something like fioricet or vicodin to deal with the headaches that DO come. This is a fairly common method of treating migraines during pregnancy. You will probably need a referral to a neurologist, and you MAY be referred to a Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist (which means extra ultrasounds :-) ) as well if you are put on a beta blocker.

I know that near the end with my last pregnancy, I was losing my vision due to the migraines for hours a day..I was finally induced at 39wks and 4 days because my vision was gone for almost 24 hours and my face and neck were going numb from the migraines. He turned out just fine.

So yes..there are things you can do and the reason I explained my long boring history was to show you that I've DEFINITELY been there! And there are several different options for treating during pregnancy including preventative beta-blockers, and medicines to treat a migraine-in-progress ranging from regular OTC painkillers to barbituates and narcotics, all of which are considered safe under doctor supervision.

Best of luck to you I am SO sorry you're having this happen..it's just one of those obnoxious things that some of us lucky women get during pregnancy.
sania19 Pregnant with third.... Comment
Mrs_teddy_bear I got a higher dose of Fema... Comment
Shannon79, hansen20, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy