ovulation
how do you know when you are ovulating if you have irregular periods
There are many different things you can do to learn more about your body.  There is a book out there called Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  Another poster is always referring to this book and she says it's wonderful.  I am looking for the book myself.  Anyway, you can chart your temps.  You take your temp every morning before you get out of bed.  Your temps stay lower until ovulation takes place.  Once ovulation takes place, your temp will rise and stay risen until you either start your period or will stay risen throughout pregnancy.  You can also use the OPK (ovulation predictor kits) and monitor your CM (cervical mucus).  I have a chart that I am using where I can put my temps and put what kind of CM I have had that day if any.  You put P for period or D for Dry or M for mucus or E for eggwhite.  It is really amazing what our body tells us.  It just takes some practice.  This is only my first month to chart myself.  I started charting right before I started my period so now I have started from scratch.