please help smoking and pregnant
Hi everyone, I need help really bad. I am roughly 7 weeks pregnant (Not planned, a complete shock, but we are happy). I found out I was pregnant at around 5.5 weeks pregnant and since then I cant stop smoking. I think I have smoked more since finding out I am pregnant than before I new and I dont know why. Every cigarette I have makes me feel guilty but even that want make me quit, why not? I feel already I am a bad mother that I cant give up for the sake of our baby. I was always the one who said ' as soon as i find out im pregnant, thats it will never touch a fag again' as I hate to see prehnant women smoke.I feel like I told myself (and partner) lies. Everyday I say thats it no more but it never happens.
I dont feel pregnant (not that I no how pregnancy feels) but I dont feel like i have a little baby growing inside of me. I have wished for morning sickness so the last thing on my mind would be to smoke but i dont feel sick at all.
Is there anyone else out there who can relate to how I am feeling?
I dont smoke drugs or anything like that. I have ate healthy since I found out but all that goes down pan when smokey Dot Cotton here cant quit the fags. I feel so bad i even brought the nicorette inhalator which i used last time I quit smoking and that was successful so why wont it work this time.
Thanks for any replys to this message
I think that it is all mind over matter. I was a smoker before I got pregnant and the day that I found out I was pregnant I tried to smoke a cigarette (before I took the test) and it was the worst tasting thing ever! I have known plenty of women that were unable to quit smoking before their little ones were born. Unless you are going cold turkey the nicotine passes over the placenta to the baby so no matter the gum, inhaler, or patches it is still going to get to the baby. I don't know if you have seen your doctor but usually they can definitely recommend a regimen to help you quit. I know that the guilt is probably eating you alive but I am not sure how morning sickness would help (which you could always get since you are only 7 weeks) but I think that the stress of smoking is probably making you smoke even more. I think you are going to have to do what you can to keep away from them. Definitely talk to your doctor =)
I saw my Dr on tuesday and i mentioned to him i was still smoking but will try and quit need to go back to see of he has any advice. Well my thinking with morning sickness is that i would feel too green to smoke as when i am ill i dont smoke untill i start feeling better, so that was my thinking. What i dont understand is i have quit several times cold turkey no problems, i did find it quit easy so i have no excuse coz i no i can do it. I dont no if it because i dont feel pregnant. might sound strange but its like i dont believe i am even 10 positive tests later it wont sink in even tho i have classic preg symptoms sore breasts, feel hunger like never before, soooo tired i cant concentrate in lectures, forever using the bathroom etc.
I will try my hardest think a scan will help it all sink in and become reality.
Thank you for reply
Around here, there is a well respected quit-smoking program that uses hypnosis.  It might be worth a try if you have something similar in your area.

Chantelle:  I can't tell you how to do it but I can give you my own experience.  I smoked for aruond 12 years.  I smoked through my first pregnancy (which i regret but whats done is done and she is now a perfectly healthy 13 yo) and I continued to smoke after becoming pregnant a 2nd time.  That one ended in miscarriage.  So when I became pregnant a 3rd time something just clicked.  I had tried numerous times to quit with no success but for whatever reason this particular time did it. I smoked the last cigarette in my pack and told myself that was it..NO MORE...and I have no had a single cigarette since that day.  This december will be 10 years ago that I quit.  I know there a million gimmicks out there to help you quit but sometimes it just has to be something inside you that triggers an overwhelming desire.  Good luck, I realize it's not an easy thing to do.  

I know from experience that when the morning sickness kicks in that cigarette smoke will be the worst smell in the world.  I couldnt even stand the smell on DF every time he smoked. and I worked in a bar during my mornin sickness and it was horrible, i was always nauseous.   I had 2 cigarettes left when I found out, and I smoked them, out of shock, even though it was a planned pregnancy it was still a huge shock.  I smoked for 10 years, starting when I was 10 years old. so it was very hard for me.  but like I said the smell was so horrible that it helped alot.  but then after the morning sickness went away i found myself wanting them again, cause everyone I knew smoked, and I worked in a bar where everyone was smoking.  i think  i did really good.  i was 4 months along before I had my first couple hits of a cigarette and I remember the day clearly it was Halloween and me and DF had broken up and gotten into a huge fight and I was at work, hating being there cause i was so upset.  but then I didnt touch one again till I was like 8 months when everythin started getting really stressful, and we had broken up yet again.  so I had a few cigarettes while i was pregnant.  not nothing compared to some people i know.  and my baby was born 7lbs 110z.  they say that all smoking really does is low birth weight or preterm labor.  I think everything will change when you see your lil bean on the ultra sound.. good luck with everything and i hope you stay here on medhelp and if you need to talk or have questions im here.. just message me
Thank you ladies very much for your replys. I new I would get a mixed bag of replys but really wanted to hear from people like yourselves who understands. I cant wait for my first scan so I can see for myself that there is a little baby inside and I think that will give me a wake up call I need. I have cut down but it all feels so sureal at the minute. I hear of people knowing before they took a test they were pregnant I on the other hand still dont believe it after 10 positive test results ha ha. I know many of friends who smoked through out thier pregnancy and I used to say how can you still smoke? I always said i will quit I feel like I am a failure already. But on a positive note I will quit. I am one of these people I dont believe anything untill i see it. Yes I will continue to stay on here it is a good forum and im sure I will have a lot more questions throughout this pregnancy.
Thanks again and good luck with your pregnancy's
You are not a failure.  Smoking is an addiction and like with any addiction there is a process to quitting.  Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to go cold turkey.  Take your time, keep your doctor informed and see what course of action s/he recommends.  We're here to help and support you along the way :)
I don't have any experience smoking while pregnant but I can give you a bit of motivation to quit. My mother smoked through out her pregnancy (this was nearly 25 years ago when there weren't as many additives to cigarettes mind you). she smoked between 10 cigs and a pack a day. I was born severely jaundiced...so bad I almost died. As time went on my problems just got worse. I have asthma (it's mild enough so I don't need an inhaler) and I have a heart problem. When the heart condition began presenting itself the first thing my cardiologist asked my mom was "did you smoke while pregnant?" she said yes, he said "now i know why she has it." what ***** is there is nothing he can do for it. it's something i will either grow out of (he said by 20...i'm now 25 and still have it) or will have it for life.

just a bit of motivation to help you on your way. (my mom DID quit smoking while she was pregnant with my brother. he has no asthma and aside from his add/adhd is completely and totally healthy.)