reasons for no dilation and baby not dropping by 40 weeks???
my wife is in her 40th week and has absolutely no dilation and the baby has not dropped, the baby has measured small throughout the pregnancy and this is her first child. i have two daughters from previous marriage and neither of these things were issues so very new to me. i seen sites where woman talk bout their drs ready to schedule inductions or c-sections at 37-38 weeks and right now our dr didnt mention it till we brought it up and was like pulling teeth for dr to talk bout it till we mentioned exploring options of having baby elsewhere.
Hello, I am also in my 40th week. My baby did not flip to head down until about 37 weeks. My doc told me because baby flipped late that he/she would drop late and I would probably deliver late too. My baby is still way up in my ribs. I don't think I have had any contractions - but because its my first I am not sure. I am 1cm dialated and have been for a week now with no effacing (?)  I also had to ask my doc at my last apt about how long overdue I would be going (if I go) She said I would be induced after 10 days of my due date. She literally told me to be patient and take it one week at a time. I dont think induction at 38 weeks is needed considering babies are supposed to be in ya for 40 weeks. My baby is also measuring small so perhaps our babies are just comfy cozy in there. Hang in there :)
If this is her first baby, it's very common to be late. Also, her due date could be off by a little bit, making her not quite as far long as you both think. Most doctors won't discuss induction or c-section until at least a week late, unless there is medical evidence that she would need one such as high blood pressure, big baby, mother/fetal distress, ect. It's best to let nature take it's course and let the baby come when he/she is ready.
I'm 40 weeks as of today and even though the baby is already in position I'm only a fingertip dilated. Most doctors that talk about inducing women in their 37 or 38 weeks do so because said women have problems, like preeclampsia, diabetes, etc. A woman doesn't need to be induced that early if no problem is present. As far as I know a woman shouldn't be induced at least until the 41st week.
babies will come when they are ready, if the baby is measuring small them it needs to stay in there as long as possible. Inductions do not always work and if the baby is not in position it won't mor ethen 70% of the time. At 40 weeks you can try evening primrose oil on the cervix or labia and that will help. She needs to walk and sit on a birthing ball to help drop the baby. Lots of time the baby will drop in the last 24 hours before labor. The baby has to be dropped and engeaged for the dialation to happen and for efacement. Babies are not full term till they are 40 weeks and up to the 41st week is still in the 40th week so don;t worry abou it. Lots of first babies are late. Have they done an ultrasound to make sure the baby is in the right postition? If it is not labor can be drawn out, bu that is not a problem unless the baby is transverse/sideways. Some times the heasd can be tilted a little and things may take a while to get going. Read Ina May Gaskin Guide To Childbirth and it talks about induction both benifts and risks and all the proceedures you might come across and ways to help the labor start going. But at this point as long as mom and baby are fine nothing needs to be done till 42 weeks
Both of my children were born 10 days past due date. It is only an estimated date and by no means precise. Both labours were spontaneous because in Australia induction will not even be considered unless the baby is at 41weeks + unless there are other underlying medical reasons. Hang in there. It is absolutely the pits waiting for them to arrive. Try to avoid induction as this can make the contractions alot more intense and painful for the mother. I have tried to avoid any medical intervention with both my labours and as mentioned by others, walk, walk and walk. Another thing the midwife suggested (which worked for us) a glass of wine together and go to bed for some fun.