Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
rib pain?

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

rib pain?

I have pain on one side only for a fews weeks now. it started in my back (worse when drinving) and i also feel pain and weirdness in the front on the same side (left). I feel like it always hurts, just wondering if this is normal.
i have heard from a few friends that were preg with girls that girls like to get up into our ribs...i havent had this yet because im only going on 22 weeks but i have heard this is common and can be quite painful
The last several weeks I have this pain/aching that starts in my back on the left side sort of between my shoulder blade and spine but just slightly lower and when it gets worse I can feel it in the front of my chest as well.  It could be from your ribcage expanding to accomodate your growing uterus.  
I don't mean to scare you, but please call your doctor.  What you are describing could be normal.  But, last week for a few days I thought I had a strained stomach muscle or maybe was having ligament pain... I hesitated to call.  I finally called this Friday and doctor had me go in.  I was contracting and didn't know it... dialated to a 1.5 and 40% effaced.  I am only 30/31 weeks.  Everything is under control for now, but my new advice to anyone feeling just something is not quite right, even if it could be something that is normal in pregnancy please call because you never know.
That is good advice Heather, and to clarify on my post, I DID go to the ER, mine was so bad that I thougth I was having a heart attack.  They said it was a compressed nerve or something.
You didn't mention if the pain was in your upper or lower back???
thank you all for your replies. I do have a doc appoint tomorrow for an u/s. its actually pain in my upper left side in my back and also in the front same spot. it feels a little sore when i push in the front rib area.
That's where mine is. I even went back to the ER a couple days later becuase my left shoulder was aching and the back side of my left arm and my pinky, ring and middle fingers were partially numb.  That's why they thought it was a compressed nerve.  The numbness went away after about 36 hours but the achy/pain still comes and goes. This was about 3 weeks ago.  

It does sound a lot like rib pain.  I know that with my first pregnancy I never felt any rib pain while pregnany but afterwards when my ribs started to pop back into place...WHEW it would stop me dead in my tracks it hurt so bad...fortunately the pain then only lasted a few seconds.  
i just cant believe i have rib pain and im barely 26 weeks! I have a desk job and commute 2 hours a day by car so I'm sure that is just making it worse. Thank you for your help, ill bring it up to my doctor :)
Let me know what they say!
will do :) i actually just learned that my doc wrote all these pregnancy books, writes in 3 different pregnancy journals and is on TLC's A Baby Story - pretty cool, so i'm assuming he might what i'm taking about
That's pretty cool!!! I wish my doc was a good one.  The onyl reason I stick with him is becuase he's the ONLY one around here who won't force me into a repeate c-section (my first was a section) even though I've had 4 successful vbacs since then.  Ugg...sometimes small towns really stink.
I am having the same pain - my ob did not seem concerned because the baby is still in - and other than that he could care less if my arms were falling off.  I went to my family dr who said I popped a ligament in my rib cage - I think it is more than that or something else - as I am in soooo much pain I can't stand it.
it does feel like a ligament or something - i cant even imagine how its going to feel pushing a baby out I feel like im going to push a few ribs out at the same time
It feels like a tearing or burning sensation under my left breast and above my uterus which on my third baby at 31 weeks is pretty high up.  My family dr told me that Labor is not an option as this under normal circumstances (not pregnant) would take 6 weeks to heal - he said with the baby feet up kicking at it - the progesterone shots I am on that make my lungs expand a little more than normal and the ligament popping I will be in unbearable pain - I am having a c section  - because I have had two previously so hard core labor won't be an issue - but I have preterm labor issues and contract regularly and it is killing me... the last two days I have thought about going to the ER - but I am on darvasot (spelling) which worked for the last week - but all of the sudden it is not doing anything.  If it gets worse tonight I will call my drs again tomorrow.... there are times I think my rib is poking my uterus and I am going to spring a leak!!!  Hope you feel better. BTW - I NEVER had this with my previous pregnancies -
Oh - and yes it is worse when I drive - but I use my left hand when I drive ... I notice my posture is poor when I use only my left hand =-so I am trying very hard to use only my right hand or both...
i do think it probably  has a lot to do with my posture - i just cant wait till im out of work in 9 weeks, no more sitting at a desk all day or driving a lot. i feel so much better when i come home and sit on the couch with a pillow behind my back.   i hope you feel better too :)
dcsteed 36 week appt yesterday, con... Comment
1 hr ago
TinaR10, and Hollus commented on TinaR10's status
TinaR10 I have been MIA!! All this ... Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy