some of the nos of being prego??
okay so im 6 and half months pregnant...and the last couple days iv heard some things are really bad to do while pregnant....? why is sleeping on your back so bad while prego and u can only sleep on your left side...drinking diet coke or oj cuz of the acid can that affect the baby.....?
Sleeping on your back decreases the blood flow. I know coke is bad for you because of the caffeine but orange juice is really good for you.
what happens if u sleep on your back tho would that kill your baby?
I read online theyre's like a major vein tgat supply blood to the baby ( or something like that) and the pressure of the baby's own weight on that vein can be dangerous for both of you. Thats what i read and what i was told so im really careful as we've been trying for. almost two years for this baby and i dont want to mess anything up. Theres also all kind of food they say is bad. Its so much work to renember it all really
I know you're not supposed to eat sandwhich meat or buffet food.
.... It's not deathly bad my doc said that the baby will make it uncomfortable to sleep on your back before it effects you or the baby but when you sleep you toss and turn and end up on your back regardless but practicing to sleep on your side will be easier in the long run
ya i sleep on my left side...but catch myself on my back then i flip over right away...but it hard i drink alot of oj lol i duno just the acid bothers me....i drink a diet coke or 2 a day...i used to smoke so i replace the ciggerettes with diet coke and i guess food im all baby but iv gained like 30 pounds already....
Mmmmmmmmm I love oj... Does it give you heartburn? If it does take tums the calcium is good for the baby I used to smoke but now that I'm pregnant being around the smell makes me puke but my doc said I can still have a coke or coffee per day thank goodness because I love coffee !!!
ya iv kept away from the coffe i used to drinks tons i have maybe 1 a week cuz i get the craving no it doesnt give me heartburn i just thought acid was bad for the baby?
Its the fake sugar in diet coke that makes it a no-no.

Drinking soda or coffee in moderation is usually okay - but not diet drinks.

Or anyway,  that's what my OB says.  It has to do with some evidence of nervous system damage in the baby.
My doc said it was ok to bc you need to move around to keep circulation going. So sleep on one side for a little then the other and so on. She said you want stay on your back long enough for it to harm you or the baby. You just don't need to stay in one postion all night.
hmmm!
diet isn't good while pregnant. OJ is fine, they actually recommend it if baby isn't moving very much bc the sugar gives them an energy boost. Sleeping on your back cuts off circulation to your legs bc of a vein that your uterus presses on, it won't harm the baby and if your do turn onto your back, it won't really be that big of a deal. Lunchmeat is fine, just warm it up before you eat it. 600 mg of caffeine a day is "okay" during pregnancy.

I have the book, "What to expect when you're expecting" its a great $12 investment I recommend every pregnant woman getting, it answers all of these questions. :)
what will the diet do to the baby?
There is some thought about neurological damage,  but there is real evidence that lots of diet sodas can be linked to premature birth.

Everything in moderation.  
im sure thats only if u drink tons of it a day tho..one or 2 a day wont kill your baby a case would tho lol!
Dont sleep on your back because it can put pressure on a major artery which can prevent blood supply to you and baby. You can lay on your left or right side, however the left side provideds optimal blood supply. As far as diet coke- the fake sugar is what is bad. A normal coke is better. I drank at least a 44 oz coke every day with my first no issues. There is nothing wrong with orange juice except for the fact it is full of sugar as are most fruit juices even the no sugar added ones.  Do not diet while pregnant but you can eat healthier. Just do not limit calories as that can keep you from giving baby enough nutrition.
I can't post a link without getting permission,  but if you google diet sodas pregnancy you'll find a reputable study that shows that drinking 2 diet sodas a day gives you a 38% higher chance of a premature baby,  and drinking 4 diet sodas a day increases that risk to 78%.

So it's significant.

The study doesn't say how premature the babies are,  and I'm certain if they were causing mid-pregnancy miscarriages warnings would be all over the place.

It's also not clear that diet sodas are the CAUSE of the premature labor - in fact, probably women who drink that many diet sodas a day also engage in a lot of unhealthy other behaviors that may be the cause.  
No. It won't kill your baby, but aspartame is bad for you to consume period, whether you're pregnant or not. Just google some of the side effects
its alot to take in...i do not drink 4 diet coke a day but i do drink 1 or 2...its not that im dieiting at al trust me iv gained a **** load of weight its just habit...i drink tons of oj and sleep on my left side...so i think im doing a okay job hehe i hope...lol
I didn't mean dieting, diet pop, not dieting :) sorry for the confusion!
Also, just try not to stress and worry about everything! Women were having babies long before there was internet and all that stuff :)
They ate whatever, drank whatever and slept however and they birthed healthy, wonderful babies so just go with the flow and enjoyyyyy being pregnant! :D
&& just to ease your mind about the diet sodas, my bestfriend drinks nothing but diet soda and she has had 2 perfectly healthy babies, so you'll be fine I'm sure! :)
babyboy,  drinking "tons" of OJ isn't good either.  It's jam packed with sugar unless you're drinking fresh squeezed - and even then,  eating the orange is much better.  Drink water,  eat whole fruit.  ;D  

And yes,  drinking 2 diet sodas a day will harm you.  It might not make noticeable difference in your pregnancy and your baby,  but over time it does damage to your body although you may not be fully aware of it.  

There are certainly studies out there that show that drinking diet drinks actually causes women to gain weight,  for example.  It does something to your metabolic rate and "tricks" your body into not being able to judge when you're full.

No one here is saying it's arsenic,  but there is a growing body of research that clearly points to the dangers of artificial sweeteners.
Im diabetic and have no choice to drink diet and eat sweetner and my dietician has never mentioned it. So cant be all too bad
Yes you do have a choice,  swhite.  You can drink water.  

Maybe your dietician sensed you were not receptive to that,  and settled for just trying to keep you from drinking sugary things.  Sometimes,  you have to pick your battles,  and it sounds like she avoided this one.

Next time you see her,  ask if you should be drinking water or diet sodas,  because you really want to do what's best.   I know what the answer will be.
tons meaning a glass or 2 a day!! lol im gona try to only drink 1 diet coke a day lol its hard:(...i get tested in a week or 2 for my diabeties test now im scared im gona fail!!
Sweeteners not only In soda tho its in a lot of stuff . They ask a meal plan for every week. Im 36 weeks next time I go on Tuesday and ore likely get induced due ti preeclampsia. My diabetes has been controlled soley by diet and baby is fine get scanned weekly
Aspartame is definitely not good, splenda is the worst and that's what they use in coke, not trying to scare you, like I said don't worry about every little thing you put in your body, if the doctors sensed a problem, they'd say something, if they're not concerned, you don't need to be either :)
Stevia and truvia are better to use as far as sugar substitutes
swhite,  you're right,  sweeteners are in SO MANY things!  I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy,  and you just end up cooking from scratch - chicken breasts with a little pepper and garlic,  fresh green beans with a little olive oil roasted in the oven,  whole fruits (sparingly,  you can't eat 3 slices of watermelon!),  red beans and jalapeno juice (really good actually),  fresh steamed corn on the cob with nothing on it,  boiled brown rice with cilantro and tomatoes and onions.  Stuff you make yourself,  because everything you buy prepared has all kinds of junk in it.  

My diabetes was controlled solely by diet and I ended up delivering a 7 pound 3 ounce boy,  making my doctor realize I really didn't have GD at all.  

Best wishes -
what causes u to get gd tho?
Can be a number of things. If it's in family. Over weight . Age. .
hmm well i dont have the greatest eating habbits thats all i can think of that i could get it from
There's nothing you can really do to prevent gestational diabetes. If you're going to get it, you're going to get it. It will go away after pregnancy :)
They normally check around 28 weeks.
ya i have to go this week...
There will always will the real sugar vs. fake sugar debate. It's truly a personal choice.
Sometimes women who typically struggle with LOW blood sugar get GD in pregnancy,  who knows why.  That was my case - for the first time I actually felt good and wouldn't get that low blood sugar panic in between meals.  I've always been underweight and had blood sugar problems,  and finally having high blood sugar felt so good.  

But then,  I had to go on that restrictive diet.  Which actually felt good too.

Many women who get GD never will struggle with diabetes other than during pregnancy.
Mamacita,  yes.  Like smoking or not smoking is a personal choice.  

It's just good that since this is a public forum,  other people can read this who aren't even in this conversation and can learn.
I wish i knew what causes gestational diabetes, as i have just been diagnosed with it again for the third time (am on my third pregnancy). I control mine by diet as well. Pre pregnancy i was about 90lbs (43kg), ate healthily and exercised. The doctors don't understand why either, and especially since my last son was born 4lb 14oz at 38 weeks!! Its a real pain in the *** as now its like i'm 'dieting' and i could do with the weight gain! I'm 30 weeks and having a growth scan on friday to check on this bub's progress, i hope everything is on track. They say i could just have small babies cause i am a small person to start with. And i have to use Stevia as well for my cups of tea and on my porridge, i have to use something, i can't eat or drink without it.
I'm the same way you are,  thirdtimemum.  I think you need to take this up with your doctor - when my first child was born at 7 lb,  he didn't ever test me again in the next two pregnancies,  and they went very well.  

I really think you need a consult.  I don't know how high your blood sugar tests were,  but it certainly sounds like you could use some more calories.  

Do you have a dietician working with you?  I would think they would be shocked your last baby was so small -
@RockRose my glucose challenge test came back at 8.3 i think. They said not high enough to go on insulin straight away, just diet controlled. And they think with my last son he was so small because my placenta had started breaking down, possibly caused from the GD?
see now that makes me nervous....
That sounds very possible,  thirdtimemum.  I certainly don't think you should make any changes at all without your doctor's approval -

Best wishes.
Don't stress about it babyboy111, i'm sure you'll be fine, and honestly if you do get it, its not all bad. Makes you eat healthily for starters, and that can't be a bad thing! I've enjoyed my early months eating mcdonalds, lollies and chocolates etc, now i can start to feel a little healthier nourishing my body with better foods. let us know how you go.
i will thanks ladies xoxo
I don't know if I have gd yet, my test is Feb 15, however I have choleostasis (big word for gallstones?) Lol...but I am already on a very strict diet, so I know how awful it is, I was diagnosed at 10weeks so its been 16 weeks and I've lost 25lbs so I am PRAYING my gd test is good and I don't test positive, idk what I will do if they say I have it!