taking Xanax during pregnancy
Has anyone else had to take xanax during there pregnancy? I am 33 weeks and have only taken two .5mg doses in the last week. I just seem to have more anxiety at the end here. I haven't  taken any in my 1st & 2rd trimester. my doc gave me ativan in my second trimester that I have taken maybe a handful of times. She said the xanax was ok too if I absolutly needed it. The reason I have swithed to the xanax lately is because I get releif faster than with the ativan. Has anyone else had to take these meds as needed during pregnancy?
Hi, I haven't had to take any during my pregnancies - but did take some after my first as i got bad anxiety and PND.  I had a friend who took some during hers and her doc said to try and avoid it but if she really had to just one was ok.  He said the stress and anxiety was actually worse for you and the baby then the tablet. I think as you are not in your 1st or 2nd tri it would be better.  Anyway i think your doc would be the best person to advise you and if you are still not sure then try for another medical opinion.
i had a friend who had to because her sister was dyiing of cancer and it was too mich for her.  the OB said the benefits outweighed the risks as long as it was taken correctly and not abused.
The benefits can out weigh the risks but there are risks. A better alternative for those with anxiety is an SSRI taken daily called zoloft. Completely safe in pregnancy. Xanax will sedate the baby and they are not completely sure of the effects on the child but can lead to addiction in both baby and mother.
Hi, I took zoloft during the 3rd tri of my 2nd pregnancy due to the fact I got PND after my first. I took it as a precausion to make sure that if my hormones dropped after the delivery I would already have something working to help with the anxiety and depression.  I know zoloft in the right dose is fine during pregnancy and bf but in my experience it does not work as fast for anxiety and you have to be taking it for at least 2 weeks, building up the dosage for it to become effective.  It is not a one off solution but a great alternative if you are feeling constantly anxious and in need of a longer term solution.
I actually am already on Prozac for my anxiety and mild depression. I'm only on 10mg though which I know is a really low dose but it's because I only weighed 110 before getting pregnant. I was thinking of asking my ob if I should up my dose to 20mg. I just hate to do that while I'm still pregnant and I plan to breastfeed. But it might not be a bad idea with the stresses of a newborn and a 22 month old I might need it! I have just been soooo agitated lately and it doesn't take much to send me into a crying fit. I try to tuff it out as much as I can but sometimes I just can't stop crying sometimes.