torn placenta
if i told my doc about stabbing pains for weeks and then it turned out that the placenta had torn at 16 weeks and i lost my child as a result, could the placenta have been fixed? or maybe healed if i had been told to take it easy and not be active?
I have a torn placenta and although they can't fix it, sometimes if you go on bed rest you can keep it from getting worse.  If it was an abruption (got that too) then again the only thing you can do is bed rest and pray.  It all depends on how bad or severe the tear or abruption was.  For example if you have an abruption (where the placenta tears away from your lining) that is 50% or more then your baby can't survive, if it is less than that (obviously the less tearing the less damage and the better outcome) then all that can be done is close monitoring and deliver the baby if it starts getting too bad.  At 16 weeks your baby wouldn't have survived if born so if the tear or abruption was bad (guessing it was) then there was nothing that anyone could do.  However if it was just a small tear (like a little hole in the placenta - not tearing from the lining) then sometimes if it is small enough, it can clot over itself (if you are lucky and catch it in time and do the whole bed rest thing), or it could go the other way and just get bigger and tear worse (sometimes even if you are on bed rest).  All in all, it would depend on how bad the situation was and even if it was "not bad" then sometimes it doesn't matter what you do.  I am so sorry that you lost your baby.  Your doctor should have listened to your complaints and ordered tests.  Was there any spotting or bleeding (there usually is with a tear or abruption but not always)?  But as far as fixing the placenta, there isn't a way to do that.  Was your placenta examined after losing the baby?  If so, they should be able to tell you more and give you some answers.  Again, I am so sorry for your loss and if you want to talk you can always email me or send me a msg (i'm on bed rest so I'm never far away).  I know the loss of a baby is very hard, like many of the women in here, I've lost too.  I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  
my sister just had a c-section last night to a 5lbs 3.2oz 19.5 inchs healthy baby boy and her placenta was a 50% tear and he is now a little over a day old and the docs say he is very healthy and is in good condition