Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
tramadol/ultram while pregnant

A community of expecting mothers (18 to 24 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

tramadol/ultram while pregnant

I am 9 wks pregnant and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 2 years, I also have a bulging disc in my back and several pinched nerves.  I was taking Ibuprofen 600mg three times a day, neurontin 300mg three times a day, and tramadol 100mg at least twice a day, sometimes 3 times daily.  I went to my ob at 6 wks and he told me to stop all meds and that I could take 2 extra strength tylenol up to 3 times a day if needed.  Its not working. My muscles are on fire!!  I can't eat, sleep, or function because of the pain.  I have read several posts from women who have taken pain meds during pregnancy, has anyone had a baby and took tramadol during pregnancy or vicodin?  I know neurontin has shown to have negative effects on the fetus but tramadol and vicodin have not but they haven't been proven safe either.  I took vicodin for  year before I was diagnosed and was then switched to tramadol for long term use.  I called my ob's office and told them my pain level but they did not seem to care.  He is a very knowledgeable ob, he delivered my first son.  I think he is very over cautious which is a good thing but I can't continue in my current state.  Has anyone been in the same situation and could offer advice as to how to talk to him about my pain?  I do not want to harm my child intentionally but I cannot live like this.  I would honestly rather be dead than live with the pain any longer.
I have Fibromyalgia, and currently take 8 tramadol a day.  I cut myself back to 4 or 6 per day during my both of my pregnancies, and my kids turned out just fine.  I hear of people getting addicted to the drug and having withdrawals, so naturally I was concerned that my kids would have withdrawals after birth.  They never seemed to be anything but normal.  I did breastfeed so maybe that had something to do with it.  I am not a doctor, but I had abosolutely nooo problems with taking it during my pregnancies.  I will tell you that Tramadol was the only med I took during pregnancy, I did not take any other pain killer.  My kids are 6 and 7 now and they are perfectly normal kids, in fact they have both been labeled as gifted at their schools.  In my opinion the drug had absolutely no adverse affects on them.  Hope this helps
I take Ultram (tramadol) as well. My doc told me to stop all meds for my fibro as a cautionary way of keeping the baby safe, but that I could take my Ultram "sparingly". I was miserable this weekend with horrid back pain and nausea, etc. I didn't want to cause anything bad to happen with taking the med so I asked one of the ER physicians that I work with at the hospital his take on what my OB doc had said by taking the med "sparingly". He said that "sparingly" in his mind is less than 6 doses a day. Since I only take it once a day he seemed to think that I would be fine taking it and it wouldn't harm my baby. I do not know your dose, and I am not a doctor. My scrip is for 200mg once daily and that alleviates my chronic back pain. I have went from taking it at the same time every day to moving my dose back a little (like I will take one pill in the morning, the next day I will take my dose at lunch, the next day at dinner time, etc) and even though I have small bouts of pain, I don't feel that I am harming the small child growing in me. I hope that this helps.
I have been presrcibed hydrocodone and tramadol for the last 5 years. I am not a bad person, but I feel so guilty. I am 13 weeks pregnant and didn't even find out about my pregnancy til I was 10 weeks. The last 5 mos I have been using tramadol mostly. I am so scared of what might happen to my baby:( I want to stop! Will it be ok for me to stop cold turkey. I wonder if I stop now then will that prevent my baby from having withdrawals?? Please help if u have ever been in my situation I take sometimes 10- 15 a day:( I need support nobody in my family knows
I haven't seen any recent posts so if anyone is out there please help
I understand how you feel. I am almost 38 weeks pregnant and taking tramadol. My OB said I could ONLY take tylenol but it didn't work and I called them and they said "consult with your primary" My primary said the tramadol was the safest thing and prescribes 50-100mg every 4-6 hours as needed for pain. I have suffered with chronic pain for a long time and tramadol worked for me without keeping me drugged. I knew my OB didn't approve but I had to continue to take care of my kids and job so I have taken the ultram. Now my OB knows and says that my baby will be addicted. I spoke with the nursery and they said it is "unpredictable" and they will watch the baby closely for signs of withdrawal. I have spoken with several Dr's and all except for my OB said they had prescribed it before. I hate and feel awful but I felt like I had no more options. I too was ashamed and embarrased to discuss it with my OB but I know he wants my baby to be healthy. He doesn't take my pain seriously though. I will let you know what happens because my baby is due by Christmas. I would be more than happy to share my experience because I wish someone could have shared it with me throughout this pregnancy. Good luck
Hey I saw where u said you were having your baby in Dec. and I was wondering how everything turned out.  Did your baby have withdrawls?
i read your post and i know its old but how was your baby?
it probably isnt a good idea to go cold turkey, so if you want to stop start cutting your doses down every 3 days so that you dont get the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms as bad as you would by going cold turkey
i am 17 weeks pregnant and i never take gabapentin  but i just took one 600 now will i miscarry ???
Hi....I've read your post about taking Tramadol and your experience sounds identical to mine. My OB said the same thing.  But, I also see a Rheumatologist who says that taking it is needed for me.  I have Fibromyalgia, arthritis and Bunions in both feet.  I have struggled with pain for years; also due to a bad car accident I was in in 1999.  I am 31 now and have been taking before and during my pregnancy.  It is hard for me to function for my family and job without keeping my pain at bay.  I was wondering how your birth went and what were your after affects?
Also wondering how things turned out.  I get horrible RLS and typically only take one 50mg pill in the evenings.  Every now and then i am able to skip a day but it's rare.  People just don't understand the pain that happens sometimes. It's worse now that I'm pregnant and i'm only 6 weeks.
OctoberMommy2014 commented on photo
OctoberMommy2014 commented on KeeLolo's status
OctoberMommy2014 posted Colby Lee's 8-month ... Comment
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy