what are my options when i go to the dentist today??
hey:-)
for the past couple of days my tooth has been acting up..and been very painfull!! Im pretty sure i need a root canal.. anyways, I woke up at 1:30 am with horrable pain!!! does anyone know what my options are as far as pain meds the dentist can give me if i need the root canal?? I am 5 1/2 months preggo!
Your Dentist should work together with your Dr to assure you proper care. Or atleast mine did....You migh ask him or atleast call your OB and let them know you are going and maybe he can call the dentist.
i was given only novacaine when i had a tooth pulled during my 1st and 2nd pregnancies.  if you need a root canal, they might want you to hold off until after delivery.  i could be wrong, but i think you might have to (or would want to be) knocked out for that!  that's why i opted for getting the tooth pulled both times...  b/c i needed something done right then!  sorry for your pain...  i seriuosly know how much it sucks!!!
wow! I hope I dont have to wait! Im in sooo much pain.. I dont think i could wait.. getting it pulled would really suck too.. bc getting a fake tooth put in later is sooooo much money.. its like 2,000 dollars!
Call your OB......He should know what your options are as far as pain meds.......He could also tell you what you can or can't have done at this point. I believe the farther along your pregnancy, the  more options you have. My Ob always wanted to be involved so he communicated with my dentist himself.......
I called them at 830.. and still havent heard back from them! I told them it was urgent, bc my dentist appt is this afternoon:-( uhhh They never seem to call me back on the important stuff!
What about just having the tooth pulled?  Or is it a noticeable tooth when you smile?  I had a tooth that had a root canal about a year and a half ago that just started acting up on me last month.. I opted to just have the tooth pulled rather than keep trying to fix it.  It actually became infected because of food under the gum, which also entered under the crown.  I know it sounds bad, but I would seriously consider that... it takes the pain away immediatly.  

Do you have a knot or any swelling?  If so, then you probably have an infection, and you will need to take antibiotics.
I had a cavity in it a while back and the filling came out.. I didnt go back to the dentist right away and the tooth actually broke in half.. its my first moler on the bottom left side. it didnt hurt for the longest time.. and now all fo a sudden realized it was turning a black color in one spot.. and now the pain! it sucks bc i my teeth have no other problems..never had braces.. im afraid to just have it pulled.
My dentist said lidocaine or novacaine (sp?) were okay but I'm not sure if those would be strong enough for a root canal or not.  I've never had one.  I hope your doctor gets back with you so they can work together on it if they need to or at least tell you what your options are.