Is Monistat safe while pregnant?
Does anyone know if it's safe to use Monistat while pregnant? I'm currently  28 weeks. And with my 1st daughter, I got a bacterial,  infection, and my doctor prescribed me  something basically equivalent to Monistat. She said since the baby is protected by the bubble she's in, the medicine wouldn't harm her. So my question is, would it be safe to buy over the counter Monistat? Since I was prescribed the last medication, I'm not sure if it's the same thing. Has anyone used this while pregnant? I know I have either a bacterial or yeast infection. Which are frequent/common for most pregnant women. I just didn't want to have to sit at the doctors office for hours if not really necessary...please help!   -Thanks
I'm wondering the same thing my friend. Call your doctor tomorrow and ask ill be doing the same once mine  opens. I went and baught some vagisil today to help the discomfort and it has helped alot. It doesnt say on the bottle anything about consulting a doctor and im only using it externally. If doctor doesnt give you an answer ill reply back tomorrow. Hope you feel better!
I would check with your doctor first. Monistat is an antifungal which is not the same as an antibacterial. So you do want to make sure it is indeed a yeast infection you are treating and not a bacterial. Monistat is a category C drug, so conflict cannot be excluded in pregnant women. I would think if your cervix is completely closed, then the medication would be safe, but at 28 weeks it may not be and then I would be a little nervous about it. Definitely check with your OB.
My doc told me no over the counter yeast infection medications while pregnant. I'd definitely talk to your doc before taking anything!
I used monistat to clear up yeast infections with my first pregnancy n this one as well. My doctor told me that is was perfectly fine she just wanted me to use the regular 7 day monistat. But u should contact ur doctor if ur unsure if its a bacterial or a yeast infection.
Thanks! I'm going to stop by my doctor's office tomorrow and ask. I didn't know it's a category C. And about my cervix issue, you could be right about that too. Cause I was prescribed the medicine with my previous pregnancy while in my first trimester. Being in my 3rd now, it might not be good to take.  That kinda worries me. Ill post tomorrow with his answer. Thanks ladies!
Well my doctors visit was pushed to today. And my doctor told me Monistat is perfectly safe to use in pregnancy. Yay! They took a swab culture from me, which takes a few days to get the results back. So he recommended I use monistat in the meantime. Because it sounds to him like I have a yeast infection. Which should be gone by using monistat, by the time the results get in. And I didn't ask why, but he did say to use the 7 day treatment versus the 1 day or 3 day. Good to know!